No announcement yet.

Let's see how much m20 heads suck.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in the real world i suspect extrude honing the manifold alone would offer little peak hp (without addressing the head) but perhaps the power wouldn't nose over so quickly because of the increased size of the runners.
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

any more info on this?? FF????? Digger??
      Now with 2.7i power!!!

Comment

Yeah. It's easy to gain flow in high lifts on m20 heads, like well beyond usable cam lifts.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

So to put that into moron friendly terms, if you wanna throw money at a head, do a cam and bigger valves?

Does the story change any when you go to a bigger bottom end? MM somehow squeezes a claimed 240HP out of their beast "M20B31".

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
          Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

Originally posted by u3b3rg33k View Post
            So to put that into moron friendly terms, if you wanna throw money at a head, do a cam and bigger valves?

Does the story change any when you go to a bigger bottom end? MM somehow squeezes a claimed 240HP out of their beast "M20B31".

No, we aren't done with research. The 885 head will probably need to have material added and reshaped to gain in the low lifts, but time will tell. We have hundreds of flow tests in and are using up all our cracked/damaged heads. Since we are putting time/effort/money into the research with no immediate returns, the process will be slow since it's being done after shop hours/weekends etc.

I can see 240hp no problem if you are talking at the crank, many guys including Digger are over 200 at the wheels which would be near 240 at the crank.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:

Comment

i've got a cracked 885 if you need one, and a 200 head that i was going to recycle
              318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
              '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

at the end of the day the peak hp numbers correlate well to hp potential on a good port, given a stock or basic modded head flows 175-180cfm +/- is only good for 260-280hp ballpark

i am not convinced that on a 100% stock head this would be realized, there seems to be lots of thoughts that alot of flow separation occurs on the M20 which need to be addressed to access all that flow. so addressing this separation may not always produce big CFM gains but you will start reaping the benefits of the CFM you have by being more efficnet head on a running engine.

When testing at lower pressure benches like 10" and then calculating flow at 28" only works if the port is good, velocity and velocity profiles are good etc.

the same analogy applies to testing at 28" and wanting to correlate to hp potential if the port is crap its not gonna work under higher pressures that it encounters in running engine and 10% more CFM may not give any extra hp.
                Last edited by digger; 12-14-2012, 05:45 PM.
                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

We back our findings up with dyno runs. Last one was 10whp gain by swapping on our porting only, not even a map adjustment in the PCM.
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                    We back our findings up with dyno runs. Last one was 10whp gain by swapping on our porting only, not even a map adjustment in the PCM.
                    I like your logic john! So many folks living in theorecticalville these days. Dyno proves all, keep at it i love the proof.
                    Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                    The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                      at the end of the day the peak hp numbers correlate well to hp potential on a good port, given a stock or basic modded head flows 175-180cfm +/- is only good for 260-280hp ballpark

i am not convinced that on a 100% stock head this would be realized, there seems to be lots of thoughts that alot of flow separation occurs on the M20 which need to be addressed to access all that flow. so addressing this separation may not always produce big CFM gains but you will start reaping the benefits of the CFM you have by being more efficnet head on a running engine.

When testing at lower pressure benches like 10" and then calculating flow at 28" only works if the port is good, velocity and velocity profiles are good etc.

the same analogy applies to testing at 28" and wanting to correlate to hp potential if the port is crap its not gonna work under higher pressures that it encounters in running engine and 10% more CFM may not give any extra hp.

More infor on flow seperation please. is this air in the intake/head pulse due to cam profile and rpm? or whats this about?
                      And the bits about 10" and 28".. is that inches of merc? so they'd have a direct bearing on MAP and air velocity? or am i way off?

lovin this thread!!
                      Now with 2.7i power!!!

Comment

Smart guys??!!
                        Now with 2.7i power!!!

Comment

at low test pressure the air will have no problem attaching to a tight radius and thus will not separate, if you correct the CFM measured at low pressure to the more commonly used 28" using the mathematical equation you could get a different (higher) result to that seen if a true 28" pressure is used.

Comment

Did you ever get definitive flow/velocity numbers for the modified eta manifold on an 885 head? Basically wondering if it'd be worth it to port match an eta intake for an I throttle body and 885 head.
                            1989 JDM-Tech 2
                            2010 335 D for daily

Comment

Also love this thread, as an engineer... very cool to read page one, start thinking whilst reading the rest, and see that things seem to moreorless work out as fluid mechanics would predict

Comment

With respect to the numbers shown, what rpm range( normally aspirated) would the 885 head flow to. Before it became the limiting factor.
                                Looking at building a 12:1, 13mm lift M20 for racing.
                                Chris Leone
                                chrisleonemotorsports.com
                                rollcages and fabrication
                                Remember cross threading is the only thing stronger than loctite!!

Comment

Working...
                                X