Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How common is stamped intermediate gear failure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How common is stamped intermediate gear failure?

Its in the title.. How common, what are the chances, of the stamped intermediate, (oil drive) sprocket failure??? I never heard of it till last night on any forums. Is it that common? one thing i heard is that its kinda related to RPM... magor concern of mine since my supereta will now spin at i speeds.

Help please!!

Thanks.
    Now with 2.7i power!!!

Replace the gear if your worried

Comment

puttin head back on as i type.. Dont wanna have to strip back down to Tbelt in a week just to replace this dumb thing.. how many have had failures?
      Now with 2.7i power!!!

Comment

I never heard of it until it happened to a friend after he changed his timing belt. He didn't know there was even a difference he says, and neither did i, until his car was stranded on the side of the highway because it sheared. Then people started coming out of the woodwork saying it happened to them too; mostly locals. I would change it whenever convenient.
        -Alex

Comment

I have look at both and also did not know there was a difference. After inspection the one on my car look ok and worked but I am in a climate that does not rust as much.

I would rather change it than risk it. Here is a picture I took, the cast one looks like it will fold in half on itself because the bracing is a big washer sitting inside the thin metal of the gear.

The updated sintered gear actually has some structure. It's your engine and not too hard to change but changing it gave me piece of mind.

318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
          '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

I don't think it is a common failure item, but I won't leave a stamped intermediate or cam sprocket on an engine. Before the timing belt goes on, either (or both as the case may be) will be replaced with the updated part.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
              I have look at both and also did not know there was a difference. After inspection the one on my car look ok and worked but I am in a climate that does not rust as much.

I would rather change it than risk it. Here is a picture I took, the cast one looks like it will fold in half on itself because the bracing is a big washer sitting inside the thin metal of the gear.

The updated sintered gear actually has some structure. It's your engine and not too hard to change but changing it gave me piece of mind.

i messed mine up, its the one on the right, so i was wondering if there is a difference between the two shown, they look like different sizes.
              M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

Comment

There was a service recall on the stamped gears due to some early failures and I dont think you can even buy them anymore. I bought the newer gear from the dealer for $20.
                Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                Alice the Time Capsule
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

they are the exact same size, same number of gears, I lined them up. The only difference is you don't need that silly washer in the picture.
                  318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                  '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Question: is there any way to determine if your engine has the stamped gears without looking at the engine itself? Were they only used on certain model years/build dates? Mine is a 9/85 build.

And is there an easy way to do a visual inspection of this?
                    Estoguy
                    1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

An 85 probably had the stamped sprockets, but they could have been replaced during the recall. You have to remove the timing covers to find out.
                      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
                      X