No announcement yet.

stroking my m20 to 2.7i... day-by-day pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cant wait till this thing gets tuned and some numbers come out. I have my crank con rods and pistons sitting there. Just waiting 2 save up more money to buy the rest of the rebuild parts.

Comment

Originally posted by e30 gangsta
      I cant wait till this thing gets tuned and some numbers come out. I have my crank con rods and pistons sitting there. Just waiting 2 save up more money to buy the rest of the rebuild parts.
      are you using custom pistons, 325i, or superE? Havent fully decided if I'm doing the 2.7 or not yet.. maybe.
      Old and improved:

Comment

Etasport, I'm using custom high CR pistons.. so high in fact that it looks (to my best accurate reading) to be about 10.9:1!! That's high I know, but we get 98 octane fuel here, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem :D

Today:

Car runs like ABSOLUTE SHITE. I parked it in a safe spot, waiting for the damn cam gear to arrive (DHL, you'd think it'd be here by now). I'm a freakin NINE degrees advanced as it is, with the block shaving and the 304 cam, needless to say it does NOT run very well at all (won't go over 3k rpms, pinging till tomorrow, etc)

The cam sprocket SHOULD arrive mondayish, and installing it will really help things out. Furthermore, the 2.7 chip (thx Mikeedler!) should be arriving in 4-6 days, easing up the rest of the problems.

The SMT-7 (credit GSTuning of course!) should abolish the rest of the unevenness in the air/fuel ratio and the ignition timing.

Oh! And I FOUND A DYNO HERE!!!! (yay:D) Which means even though I couldn't get a baseline, I WILL be able to get a final result, and use the dyno reading to fine-tune the SMT-7.

Will keep y'all updated as stuff arrives and is installed.

Sidenote: This 2.7 stroke is NOT as cheap or as easy as I thought it would've been, but that's probably due to the fact that my pistons' compression is WILD, and I'm packing a racing cam.
        Last edited by MrK; 03-10-2006, 12:12 PM.
        This is your M20 on steroids:

Comment

Originally posted by EtaSport
          are you using custom pistons, 325i, or superE? Havent fully decided if I'm doing the 2.7 or not yet.. maybe.
          dropping in the super eta crank cons and pistons into my 325i m20. Along with a full rebuild and a port and polish / hotank.

Comment

Originally posted by MrK
            Etasport, I'm using custom high CR pistons.. so high in fact that it looks (to my best accurate reading) to be about 10.9:1!! That's high I know, but we get 98 octane fuel here, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem :D

Today:

Car runs like ABSOLUTE SHITE. I parked it in a safe spot, waiting for the damn cam gear to arrive (DHL, you'd think it'd be here by now). I'm a freakin NINE degrees advanced as it is, with the block shaving and the 304 cam, needless to say it does NOT run very well at all (won't go over 3k rpms, pinging till tomorrow, etc)

The cam sprocket SHOULD arrive mondayish, and installing it will really help things out. Furthermore, the 2.7 chip (thx Mikeedler!) should be arriving in 4-6 days, easing up the rest of the problems.

The SMT-7 (credit GSTuning of course!) should abolish the rest of the unevenness in the air/fuel ratio and the ignition timing.

Oh! And I FOUND A DYNO HERE!!!! (yay:D) Which means even though I couldn't get a baseline, I WILL be able to get a final result, and use the dyno reading to fine-tune the SMT-7.

Will keep y'all updated as stuff arrives and is installed.

Sidenote: This 2.7 stroke is NOT as cheap or as easy as I thought it would've been, but that's probably due to the fact that my pistons' compression is WILD, and I'm packing a racing cam.
            As a teporary fix to your problem, you could try retarding your cam gear one tooth. I calculated it out to be about a 7.5* change per tooth.

Just turn the engine over by hand a few times after you do it to make sure it's not completely screwy.

Comment

It's the ignition timing that's giving me the most greif.

In all cases, it's staying put until I can get it to run right; no point wasting all the effort I already put into it by driving it in horrible tune for a couple of days and f**kin shit up, know what I mean?

Comment

Originally posted by MrK
                It's the ignition timing that's giving me the most greif.

In all cases, it's staying put until I can get it to run right; no point wasting all the effort I already put into it by driving it in horrible tune for a couple of days and f**kin shit up, know what I mean?
                Retarding the cam that way will actually retard the timing with motronic 1.3 apparently.

Comment

Hey that's good to know. If I DESPERATELY need my car, I'll try that first before putting it thru any more misery.

Comment

You may have to do it anyway, if the adjustable cam gear can't adjust it back far enough. Since it's 9 advanced, you could retard it two teeth to make it 6 retarded, and then advance it with the gear (assuming the gear can't retard by 9*).

Comment

you should have spec'd your compression ratio when you were building the engine. you may be alot higher than you think, but with that race cam it will probably work out ok. with a race cam on any engine i've worked on you can always run more compression since they bleed off pressure down low.

Comment

That's a relief. I was worried about my compression being way too high.

Comment

Well, it's been a while since the last update. That was mostly because absolutely NOTHING was happening until yesterday evening, when the adjustable cam gear FINALLY decided to make an entrance. It took 11 days total to get here from the UK: 8 days for DHL to get off their asses and PICK IT UP from the UK, and 3 days for them to deliver it to my box. Will post pic later tonight.

So after much waiting and way too much customs duty paid on a friggin GEAR, ($90), it's in, and the engine actually idles again, but it's still running rich like there's no tomorrow.

Awaiting final delivery: The SMT-7. (Due any day now)

Comment

I figured that since this adjustable cam gear was so friggin important that my car wouldn't run without it, and considering it took so damn long to arrive, that it deserved a big-ass pic all by itself:

Comment

on a 2.7 stocker, can one still use stock engine management? maybe a chip and adj. A/F mixture tool? I don't think that one really needs a stand alone managemet on 2.7l.... mebe on 2.8l.... just wondering... one more q', how much in US would an eta crank, forget pistons+rods+rings cost? lowest prolly 400?
                              sigpic

Comment

sure you can

I think an AFPR and a dyno tuning session with a wideband are a good idea though.

forged pistons alone are over $800, so you're looking at about $1500 in parts or more.
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X