2.8L stroker questions......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray Smoodiver View Post
    Is that with regards to the Alpina 276 cam? Do you know the duration?
    it was an alpina cam from the south african 325is. around 270 duration.

i would get a schrick they ~420ish from VAC. never heard of camko and searched but did not find specs.

bimmerheads and IE also sell slightly cheaper new billet cams reportedly same as schrick but cheaper
    Last edited by digger; 02-05-2014, 05:03 PM.
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Hmmmmmmm. This makes me wonder. Here is his new website. Check it out.

Onwer of
      1987 e30 325e soon to be s50
      1991 e30 318i four door
      1994 e34 530i 5speed
      05 e53 X5 4.4i fully loaded

Comment

Originally posted by Noshow20x96 View Post
        Hmmmmmmm. This makes me wonder. Here is his new website. Check it out.

http://www.stegaperformance.com/index.html
        ask for a cam card for the 272 and 288
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

Ok. I will
          Onwer of
          1991 e30 318i four door
          1994 e34 530i 5speed

Comment

I dont want to thread jack but at same time I dont think a new thread for this same topic is necessary, and I think the info could potentially help the OP.

My question is this. How much "budget" build could I get away with doing on a 2.8. For instance right now at my shop I have an m52tu with good bottom end. I have an good I block with pistons. I have an e block with rods, and two good I heads. I basically have the stuff to build the stroker.

1. Can I get away with cam (like a bimmerheads regrind or schrick 272) without upgrading to HD valve springs and rockers?

2. How important is a crank scraper?

3. Is shaving the counterweights on the crank absolutely necessary?

4. About how much in yalls experience is the cost for the machine work on the crank end to accomodate the seal?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by mpowerful View Post
              I dont want to thread jack but at same time I dont think a new thread for this same topic is necessary, and I think the info could potentially help the OP.

My question is this. How much "budget" build could I get away with doing on a 2.8. For instance right now at my shop I have an m52tu with good bottom end. I have an good I block with pistons. I have an e block with rods, and two good I heads. I basically have the stuff to build the stroker.

1. Can I get away with cam (like a bimmerheads regrind or schrick 272) without upgrading to HD valve springs and rockers?
              You don't need HD rockers but you don't want to use 25 year old rockers on a brand new cam. and the price difference isn't much. you don't want to use 25 year old springs either. at the very least you want new stock parts, or don't bother doing a motor build at all.

You don't need it.

Only with the 130mm eta rods and I pistons. it won't clear the piston skirts otherwise. another solution is to use the M52B28 pistons and rods, and machine the crowns down and cut new valve pockets. you don't have to machine the crank, but you still have to turn the intermediate shaft and do some mild clearancing of the block.

4. About how much in yalls experience is the cost for the machine work on the crank end to accomodate the seal?

Thanks in advance.
              about $55 from a forum member here. no machining, just put it on the end of the crank.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

New febi rockers will be as good as new IE HD rockers... You can have them shot peened if you're really worried about durability. I didn't bother when doing my stroker build. So far so good.
                My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

So much good stroker info popping up recently. It's giving me motivation to really start working on mine.
                  '87 5-speed 325is
                  The best $750 I ever spent!

Are you in Michigan?
                  Do you want to know where all the E30's are?
                  Try checking out the Michigan E30 Map

Comment

its pretty much been said new rockers and valve springs are recommended with a mild 27X ish duration cam but im sure alot of people have simply reused the springs though. with a new cam IMO new rockers are a must and at $3 extra each the HD ones make sense over the replacement ones.

you are not likely to find a crank that clears the counterweights in the US. as for the M52 rods and pistons and machining it comes down to what is easiest and cheapest which probably only the person going to do the machining can tell you. in either case you shouldn't have any issue withe the intermediate shaft

also im not sure but you might need a longer crank bolt? i know this is the case for some other cranks but dont recall if its needed on the M52B28 one

Comment

Originally posted by EyExR View Post
                      New febi rockers will be as good as new IE HD rockers... You can have them shot peened if you're really worried about durability. I didn't bother when doing my stroker build. So far so good.
                      No, not even close, surprised someone would be this daft. But if it works then bully for you.

Originally posted by digger View Post
                      . with a new cam IMO new rockers are a must and at $3 extra each the HD ones make sense over the replacement ones.
                      ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
                        No, not even close, surprised someone would be this daft. But if it works then bully for you.
                        yes visually the HD are superior in the known weak point this cant be disputed.

as long as the pad is of equal quality then they are the best bet short of $45 for a MM inspected and peened which ive used before with good success but may not even be as good as the HD. or the aftermarket elephant foot billet ones at 3x the price

Comment

2.8L stroker questions......

Originally posted by mpowerful View Post

Thanks in advance.

Hey bud. This will help you out with a lot of questions you are asking. This was very helpful for the build that I'm doing. Please when doing a build do not go for the cheap way out. Quality is always the best way. Spend the extra bucks. You're going to spend it anyway lol

Now back to my thread :)
                          Onwer of
                          1991 e30 318i four door
                          1994 e34 530i 5speed

Comment

So. I'm going to go with the schrick 272 cam. IE HD rockers, bimmerhead adjustable cam gear, new stock dual valve springs (is it really worth it to get the HD ones?) Machine the block .25mm, machine the crank counter weights .25"

now. I still have a question on to what HG I should use. Any suggestions?
                            Onwer of
                            1991 e30 318i four door
                            1994 e34 530i 5speed

Comment

Originally posted by Noshow20x96 View Post
                              So. I'm going to go with the schrick 272 cam. IE HD rockers, bimmerhead adjustable cam gear, new stock dual valve springs (is it really worth it to get the HD ones?) Machine the block .25mm, machine the crank counter weights .25"

now. I still have a question on to what HG I should use. Any suggestions?
                              HD what?

it basically costs no extra for HD rockers so makes sense. schrick 272 will be fine on a new set of OEM double valve springs

Comment

HD dual valve springs.
                                Onwer of
                                1991 e30 318i four door
                                1994 e34 530i 5speed

Comment

Working...
                                X