2.8l stroker thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2.8l stroker thread

thought I'd detail the progress of my motor. I'm still waiting on pistons and i need to have the machine work done. I also picked up a ring compressor and a ring installer tool - pretty cheap, less than $25 for both.

the basic specs of my motor:
    81mm 325e crank
    86mm Metric Mechanic 10:1 pistons
    S50 rods
    2823cc / 172ci

I started tearing down my block today. the outside is pretty nasty but I was very happy with what I found inside:

I was amazed when I pulled off the head, 218k and the cylinder walls haven't even *started* to wear yet. the factory cross-hatches were perfect, and not even a trace of a ridge at the top of the bores. judging by the condition of the engine and the rest of the drivetrain (the T-case, diffs, and all driveshafts were immaculate), this car couldn't have been driven very hard. too bad the car itself was a total rust bucket..

the cyl. head was also in good shape, although there is definitely a coolant leak somewhere - the head bolts were wet when I pulled them out. Hopefully it was just the headgasket and not a cracked head or block (although I'm not going to use this head anyway).

still have to pull apart the bottom end, after that it's off to the machine shop to have it cleaned up, decked and bored.
    Last edited by nando; 10-13-2010, 05:10 AM.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Wow, the PO didn't break that car in too well. Thanks for the pics, i'll definately be watching this thread. Do you think you can include pricing info too? Also, what engine management route will you be using?

Originally posted by nando
    thought I'd detail the progress of my motor. I'm still waiting on pistons and i need to have the machine work done. I also picked up a ring compressor and a ring installer tool - pretty cheap, less than $25 for both.

the basic specs of my motor:
    81mm 325e crank
    86mm Metric Mechanic 10:1 pistons
    S50 rods
    2823cc / 172ci

I started tearing down my block today. the outside is pretty nasty but I was very happy with what I found inside:

I was amazed when I pulled off the head, 218k and the cylinder walls haven't even *started* to wear yet. the factory cross-hatches were perfect, and not even a trace of a ridge at the top of the bores. judging by the condition of the engine and the rest of the drivetrain (the T-case, diffs, and all driveshafts were immaculate), this car couldn't have been driven very hard. too bad the car itself was a total rust bucket..

the cyl. head was also in good shape, although there is definitely a coolant leak somewhere - the head bolts were wet when I pulled them out. Hopefully it was just the headgasket and not a cracked head or block (although I'm not going to use this head anyway).

still have to pull apart the bottom end, after that it's off to the machine shop to have it cleaned up, decked and bored.
    Michael Spiegle

'01 Ford Escape / Daily Driver
    '99 M3 / Track Car
    '87 325is bronzit / wtf car
    '06 Daytona Triumph 675 / Daily Rider

Comment

Ive been waiting all year for this.

As time went on, the factory developed the car each year, making it faster, more comfortable, and capable of handling at higher speeds.
      You don’t want this. You want the trickiest, most dangerous, oldest model you can find. Only then can you prove to the world that you’re a man.

Comment

pistons just came, these things are beautiful!

the pistons are MM designed, but made by:

price for the motor right now is $3200. that includes new pistons, rods, bearings, machine work, oil pump, AFPR, ICV, oil pressure/temp gauges & senders, every gasket, and many new nuts/bolts, and more. still need to add rod bolts. I'll post a final price list later when I have all the parts here ready to go.

I'm going to break it in with the stock computer/chip, but later I'll go with an SMT7 piggyback, ditch the AFM and add a WB O2 sensor.
        Last edited by nando; 10-13-2010, 05:11 AM.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Detailed step-by-step motor build-up write-up please.

As time went on, the factory developed the car each year, making it faster, more comfortable, and capable of handling at higher speeds.
          You don’t want this. You want the trickiest, most dangerous, oldest model you can find. Only then can you prove to the world that you’re a man.

Comment

haha build up write up

sorry, im sleepy
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
            Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

With 221,000...my cylinders looked the same too, Nando! I was amazed! :O

You're makin me jealous with those pistons! lol Those things are daaman sexy!

Definately a messy block. Mine wasn't quite as messy. I'm too lazy to post everything I've done so far...soon though. ;)

Where'd you pick up the ring tools? Sears? I need to pick up a set too.

Can't wait to see the outcome! :)

What head will you be using?
              - Sean Hayes

Comment

So is that the motor from Fielding's car?

Comment

got the tools at shucks, nothing special but they'll get the job done. I'm going to be using the head that's in my car, just rebuilt it last year.

Originally posted by Jarvis
                  So is that the motor from Fielding's car?
                  yes it is! it's ugly looking but all the drivetrain peices were in great shape. and I still owe you money! need to send a check asap, but I keep getting sidetracked.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

got the tools at shucks, nothing special but they'll get the job done. I'm going to be using the head that's in my car, just rebuilt it last year.

yes it is! it's ugly looking but all the drivetrain peices were in great shape. and I still owe you money! need to send a check asap, but I keep getting sidetracked.

Ohh - you're rebuilding a different motor - that way yours won't be down.

Smart thinking man! ;)
                    - Sean Hayes

Comment

yeah, don't want to miss any of this seasons autox, I'm in the points lead right now :D
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

well have the block pressure tested and replace those freeze plugs

Comment

Originally posted by e304me
                          well have the block pressure tested and replace those freeze plugs
                          of course! I wouldn't spend $1200 on forged pistons and then neglect $50 in parts/labor. ;)
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

of course! I wouldn't spend $1200 on forged pistons and then neglect $50 in parts/labor. ;)
                            Yea...then I'd have to go out there and throw my extra block at nando for being stupid.

Or try. lol

This will be done right - it'll probably be the hottest IX EVER! :D
                            - Sean Hayes

Comment

Holy crap I had actually forgotten about that!

Sounds like the ix is gonna be sweet when you're done. Any specific hp/tq #s you're shooting for?

Comment

Working...
                              X