throttle body warmer coolant circuit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Northern View Post
    I don't remember who it is, but at least one group makes a delete plate for the coolant fitting on the throttle body. Not necessary, just for aesthetics. No chance it can leak vacuum or anything if you leave it open, or just unbolt the plate and throw it away.

The amount of heat the TB removes from the system is absolutely negligible vs a radiator or heater core, and the flow is minimal.
    The only reason not to cap both ends instead of loop the lines, is effort.
    Thanks this is exactly the information I was looking for. I got one of those spiffy machined throttle body coolant block off plates . It looks great.

I busted off one of the bolts and figured no need to use and extractor and then retap.

I tapped and threaded in bolts into the throttle body (as well as applying thread locker and silicone sealant ) to cap the coolant input and output. I also capped off the coolant passage on the back of the block.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211006_181358.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.4 KB ID:	10033392
    Last edited by e30vert; 10-06-2021, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Question: The little nipple shown in the lower left hand corner coming off the throttle body. Where does the hose route to?
      The big one in the center goes back to the input on the heater core that sends coolant through the firewall to the heater core. Correct?

Comment

Originally posted by e30vert View Post
        Question: The little nipple shown in the lower left hand corner coming off the throttle body. Where does the hose route to?
        The big one in the center goes back to the input on the heater core that sends coolant through the firewall to the heater core. Correct?
        Pretty sure that's the Evap line from the charcoal canister
        Originally posted by priapism
        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
        Originally posted by shameson
        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Thanks North! How about the big one in the middle of the throttle body? I dont think that is a coolant line after I reconsidered it. That would make no sense.

Comment

The big one in the middle of the blockoff plate? That's the vacuum source for the crankcase vent on the valve cover.
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Nothing's going to damage the engine.

capping off the heater circuit won't hurt anything, but might make the cooling system just a little bit harder to bleed.

Looping the heater hoses creates a bypass of the radiator, but it's relatively small, so unless you're out of extra radiator
              capacity, you won't notice.

My version is to loop the 2 together with a restrictor, so that air can easily bubble out, but not much water flows.

And only because it makes it easier to dump and refill the coolant every season.

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
              X