throttle body warmer coolant circuit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

throttle body warmer coolant circuit

My car doesn't have an m20 throttle body anymore because supercharger. Can I just cap the nipples at both ends, or will this cause some unforeseeable (to me) problem? There's one at the rear of the block and one on the thermostat housing.

Thanks.
    Originally posted by Andy.B
    Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
    1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I was born on 3/25…
    ~~~~~~~~~~

You will turn your e30 into a fiery bomb. Never under any circumstances do you remove that coolant line!

Seriously, it's fine. We do it to all the race cars, and lots of street cars (to clean up the bay). Use an oil drain plug for the one on the block, we usually weld the nipple on the t-stat housing. We also block off the small port that goes to the heater, weld the one on the t-stat housing, block off plate on the back of the head.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Thank you sir!
      Originally posted by Andy.B
      Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
      1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
      ~~~~~~~~~~
      I was born on 3/25…
      ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

I am considering using those lines for coolant feed to a turbo. Do you think they will flow enough for that purpose?
        318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
        '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
          I am considering using those lines for coolant feed to a turbo. Do you think they will flow enough for that purpose?
          Yup. BTDT.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:

Comment

Will deleting the "cooling circuit" on the tb cause any issues with warm up? My car gets driven until November then is tucked away until the roads clear up from cinders and salt. I'd like to clean everything up and eliminate possible/potential leaks.

When you mention the coolant line on the back of the head, do you mean the one that is a HUGE PITA to access? It's been a long time since I've investigated this but if I would block that off, will I still have heat?
            09 BMW 328xi touring 6spd
            05 Subaru Outback XT 5spd
            87 BMW 325is
            a few bicycles

Comment

No, not the hose at the back of the cylinder head. Remove flow to the throttle body by connecting hose 18 and 19. The one on the cylinder head is 12. Removing 12 will not allow heat in the cabin and or damage the motor if you just try to cap it...

318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
              '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

No, not the hose at the back of the cylinder head. Remove flow to the throttle body by connecting hose 18 and 19. The one on the cylinder head is 12. Removing 12 will not allow heat in the cabin and or damage the motor if you just try to cap it...
                Yes hose 18 and 19, and correct about not having heat by removing the heater circuit, bus as far as blocking the back of the head and t-stat housing, that is common procedure when we eliminate the heater box, there will be no damage to the engine.

We have been doing this for years to all the race cars and cars that don't care to have the heater, never had any ill effects.
                john@m20guru.com
                Links:

Comment

It's nice having the option of heat in a street car. Thanks for the info guys
                  09 BMW 328xi touring 6spd
                  05 Subaru Outback XT 5spd
                  87 BMW 325is
                  a few bicycles

Comment

I want to go this route as well. Can anyone confirm that this will not damage the engine and its cooling needs?

Comment

Originally posted by e30vert View Post
                      I want to go this route as well. Can anyone confirm that this will not damage the engine and its cooling needs?
                      My M20 started leaking from the TB heater gasket shortly after I bought it.
                      I looped the lines and drove it for another 5 years including Canadian winters with no issues.
                      Originally posted by priapism
                      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                      Originally posted by shameson
                      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I would imagine you are most likely to have issues near 0C and humid weather at part throttle loads. In the worst case your throttle will get stuck, which probably isn't the end of the world unless you think someone who drives the car couldn't slam on the brakes in the worst case (or if you aren't confident your brakes could overpower the engine)
                        '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                        NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                        Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I am not worried about sub-freezing temps and throttle body plate stick age. I should have been more descriptive. I dont want to just loop the coolant hoses , but eliminate them and plug them at the throttle body as well as the port on the block and also the port on the lower portion of the thermostat housing. My question is. Would blocking/ plugging these areas create a lack of cooling within the engine components. Are those areas that are used for the coolant to flow crucial areas that would now not receive coolant and cause internal engine issues?

Comment

I don't remember who it is, but at least one group makes a delete plate for the coolant fitting on the throttle body. Not necessary, just for aesthetics. No chance it can leak vacuum or anything if you leave it open, or just unbolt the plate and throw it away.

The amount of heat the TB removes from the system is absolutely negligible vs a radiator or heater core, and the flow is minimal.
                            The only reason not to cap both ends instead of loop the lines, is effort.
                            Originally posted by priapism
                            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                            Originally posted by shameson
                            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Why capping the 20 line can cause damage to engine.please explain?
                              I capped mine since i deleted my heater with no issues I've heard the connecting this line with the return from heater can cause damge not capping it.

Comment

Working...
                              X