AMC Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AMC Head

So today I was at a salvage yard in the Los Angeles area and came across an AMC head on an 88' 325is. The head seamed to be in really nice shape, it was very clean and shiny inside. The one thing that drew me to check the casting was the roughness of the head on the exhaust side, it didn't look clean and worked as the 885 head.
    I found some threads that debated the the issue and it seems that its got its fans but its got more enemies. Since these were old threads I was unsure if its popularity increased.

If anyone has more information let me know as I am in need of a usable head.

Thanks
    Last edited by e30crazie; 08-25-2015, 09:06 PM.
    I am not sick, I am twisted. Sick makes it sound like there is a cure.

1991 318is Diamantschwarz Metallic
    1989 325i Alpine White

You can use it without problems, but if you want to build a performanice engine they need a lot if port work
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

i did a small right up ish.
      im running one on my car now. they are shit casts for accuracy but do the job just fine.
      Much wow
      I hate 4 doors

Comment

I dont plan to mod my M20, if anything I will M50/52 or S50 my car. I planned to return Saturday with my tools to pull the head but that's not going to happen. I just didnt like the look of it, very rough and unfinished. It just looked very new so I thought it was a bit rare of an item since I've never heard of it and I've owned 9 e30's in the past 15 years.

1989 325i Alpine White

Comment

AMC DID have a reputation for modifying their moulds to improve problems with
          certain heads-

the 2.5 l Mitsubishi 4, for example...

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Again... I guess this head has its followers but mostly negative feedback. maybe people are drawn to the 885 head because of its popularity. Dont know, I'm torn.

1989 325i Alpine White

Comment

From what I've heard, the AMC heads have more meat where the OE 885 heads tend to crack, and possibly everywhere.

I've seen pictures of a crazy ported AMC head, and if I were really serious about building an M20, I would look into it more.

I don't think they're worth much unported since 885 heads aren't exactly rare. I think they're like $800 brand new on ebay, probably less if you bought it elsewhere.
              Originally posted by priapism
              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
              Originally posted by shameson
              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by priapism
                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                Originally posted by shameson
                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

My m20 has a ported/polished amc head, and it does just fine.
                  Attached Files
                  sigpic
                  Reich und Roll!

Comment

Working...
                  X