No announcement yet.

Das Beast: My E30 track / street build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did those oil pump bolts in the 3rd picture get tightened before the pan went back on?

Comment

Originally posted by Lugnuts View Post
      Did those oil pump bolts in the 3rd picture get tightened before the pan went back on?
      Tomorrow's post. "oh fuck" lol
      - AXIS POWERS - 2JZ E30 Build
      Current Project - 87 325is 2JZ Swapped with M4 DCT

Comment

Per Rob: "Absolutely torqued. I built a checklist as I developed my order of operations to avoid just such a calamity"

+1 for Rob. No Wall of Shame for this one :-)
        "And then we broke the car. Again." Mark Donohue, "The Unfair Advantage"

1987 E30 3L Turbo Stroker Das Beast
        2002 E39 M5

Comment

Originally posted by Lugnuts View Post
          Good eye!

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by dvallis View Post
            Per Rob: "Absolutely torqued. I built a checklist as I developed my order of operations to avoid just such a calamity"

+1 for Rob. No Wall of Shame for this one :-)

Can see it was tightened in the 2nd oil pickup pic with the Permatex on.

Ever use Hondabond or Toyotabond? Great for oil pan sealing.

Comment

I have been using Permatex "The Right Stuff" for years. Comparable to Hondabond etc, but without the larger price tag. I get it in caulking tube sizes for the shop.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Bell housing cover back on

Final pan work. Couple of pan bolts were not taking torque. Rob re-tapped them for a slightly larger diameter bolt.

One in the aluminum. That was too easy.

One into the iron block, waaayy back by the bell housing. NOT so easy. But he got it.

They both took a bit of torque like a champ.

Put the oil back in.

Prime the oil pump. Don't drop parts into the engine.

Button everything up ...

... then go test drive the heck out of it. Without getting into boost.

WOOOOOO!!!! NO MORE OIL LEAKS!

Rob dropped it off at the tuner. We should be back in business soon with a new tune.

Fingers crossed that it doesn't throw a rod. :-)
                Last edited by dvallis; 04-30-2020, 01:37 PM.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Car goes on dyno tonight

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Awesome!

Went for a ride in my friends turbo M20 car this weekend (he's on here too but forget his username), holy hell. Ridiculous amount of power, his poor tires.

Comment

Update. Das Beast is putting down so much power it broke the dyno speed sensor. (?!) For real. Tuner repaired the dyno and will do more runs tonight.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

An update from Das Beast and Project Binky in the same week. What a birthday present!

Comment

Update. Tuner is working the Vampire Shift. Dyno says we're getting power sooner! Stay tuned.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Hey dvallis, I absolutely love this "Das Beast" thread. I just bought my E30 and you are a huge inspiration to me. I am a total novice to engine work but I'm going to try to copy your engine/turbo build to the tee. Imitation is the greatest form of flattery right? Haha. I figure if I copy you I'll have a great build and I can learn a lot along the way. I'm going to mostly be daily-driving but I might dabble on a track on a rare occasion. Mine is a 1988 325ix so it may have a few parts that vary slightly that I'll need to look out for; certainly with the transmission but the engine should be identical.

I am going to end up going back through this whole thread to get a list of parts I need but before I do that I was wondering if maybe you already had a spreadsheet that you'd be willing to share? If not I'll share what I put together after going through.
                            1989 BMW 325ix, Virginia

Comment

Originally posted by MrScuba View Post
                              An update from Das Beast and Project Binky in the same week. What a birthday present!
                              Love that series.

Comment

Originally posted by Heezea View Post
                                Hey dvallis, I absolutely love this "Das Beast" thread. I just bought my E30 and you are a huge inspiration to me. I am a total novice to engine work but I'm going to try to copy your engine/turbo build to the tee. Imitation is the greatest form of flattery right? Haha. I figure if I copy you I'll have a great build and I can learn a lot along the way. I'm going to mostly be daily-driving but I might dabble on a track on a rare occasion. Mine is a 1988 325ix so it may have a few parts that vary slightly that I'll need to look out for; certainly with the transmission but the engine should be identical.

I am going to end up going back through this whole thread to get a list of parts I need but before I do that I was wondering if maybe you already had a spreadsheet that you'd be willing to share? If not I'll share what I put together after going through.
                                Hello Heeza, thanks for checking in. Glad to have provided some inspiration. Best piece of advice I have is "enjoy the adventure."

Check post #1 for complete build specs.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Working...
                                X