Das Beast: My E30 track / street build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dvallis View Post
    I'm still open to options. Have you seen a southbend clutch hold over 400 ft-lbs? If so, which one for M20?
    I PMd you about the DKM. And it did handle 750WTQ and 800WHP.. Its cheaper and perfect for your power goal.

Comment

ST2 for an E30 is pretty crazy! Going to be running with some wicked fast cars.

John, what about the current rules would deter doing the "max power from 2,000 - 8,000 RPM" that you described? You can use average numbers if you want, or you can still claim just 1 peak number for ST/TT as long as it fits in the HP:WT for the class. Average actually works in your favor as it should lower the number. Still seems like you could use that de-tuned V10 method if you wanted.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Yes, our ST2 aspirations could be highly delusional. :-) Flash forward to Rob on the radio yelling "Drive faster!" Alternative is detune to 10 psi and load up with sand bags for ST3, LoL
        "And then we broke the car. Again." Mark Donohue, "The Unfair Advantage"

1987 E30 3L Turbo Stroker Das Beast
        2002 E39 M5

Comment

The rule change was actually GTS, my bad. Had to look at the Dyno rules for the classes. The way it's done now, each RPM number has a weight to it (xx power at 3000, xx power at 3500, xx power at 4000 etc, max RPM, max power RPM etc) and it gets run through a calculator to spit out it's corrected HP/WT...

john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Went for my first drive yesterday in the newly dyno-tuned car. Wow! What a difference. With our previous "butt tuning" the engine ran strong but felt rough. Now it's super smooth.No hesitation at any RPM and the power comes on like a freight train. When you hit 4500 RPM it slams you back into into the seat like a punch in the chest from Mike Tyson. Had a long time BMW shop owner friend in the passenger seat and he was grinning like a maniac. I was fascinated by the change in boost behavior. With open loop the turbo seemed to meander its way to max boost. With closed loop control the boost gauge instantly snaps to target boost once you get around 4500 RPM.

I'm really happy with how the build turned out. Only gets even more fun from here.
            Last edited by dvallis; 02-07-2020, 02:51 PM.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Such a great feeling, isn't it?

Up here Georgia racing the 14hr, one of the team drivers is the current TT3 record holder for HMS and SIR. He said the same rules apply for TT as GTS as far as avg HP. The Dyno classification form has you record the RPM at max HP, then the power at 250 RPM less, then less 250 RPM etc until you have 8 values. Then divide total by 8. Basically you have a 2000 RPM window where you average power.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Went for my first drive yesterday in the newly dyno-tuned car. Wow! What a difference. With our previous "butt tuning" the engine ran strong but felt rough. Now it's super smooth.No hesitation at any RPM and the power comes on like a freight train. When you hit 4500 RPM it slams you back into into the seat like a punch in the chest from Mike Tyson. Had a long time BMW shop owner friend in the passenger seat and he was grinning like a maniac. I was fascinated by the change in boost behavior. With open loop the turbo seemed to meander its way to max boost. With closed loop control the boost gauge instantly snaps to target boost once you get around 4500 RPM.

I'm really happy with how the build turned out. Only gets even more fun from here.
                Any chance you bring it to Cars and Coffee? I was planning on going to the next one, assuming my S3 is back from service.

Comment

Sure. Where and when do they happen in Austin?

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Sure. Where and when do they happen in Austin?
                    There's one on Feb 16th at COTA. Next one after that is March 15th. They're from 8am to noon.

Comment

DynoJet Printout and NASA spec average HP with 0.84 turbine housing.

Expecting the 0.58 turbine to move the power to lower RPMs

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Hell yeah

Comment

This project started by accident.

Ultimate goal is turn it into something resembling this.

Gongrats!!!

Going back to your first post....graphics time yet?

Comment

Absolutely. Car goes in Friday for graphics. Woooo!

2002 E39 M5

Comment

0.58 turbine gets here Thursday

2002 E39 M5

Comment

So, we may get a reprieve on the clutch. From way back when in the build, it's a 6 puck ceramic Clutch Masters FX400 which should have plenty of holding force for the power we're making.

We didn't break in the clutch. #facepalm

Will change out the turbine housing, drive it "normally" at 10 psi (cough, wife laughs) with no WOT for 500 city miles, then report back.
                                Last edited by dvallis; 02-13-2020, 10:19 AM.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Working...
                                X