m30 afm to stock m20, does it work???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m30 afm to stock m20, does it work???

if anyones done it id love to hear your info....is it a direct bolt on or is there alot of modification to make it work???
    thanks adam
    M stands for Money:hitler:

you have to define what you mean by "work"
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

search
      R.I.P 07/01/09 - 04/23/10 :(

Comment

uhhm work meaning, is it a direct bolt on, is the wiring connection the same?? basically im trying to do this instead of a chip, tricking the car into thinking it needs more fuel because of the bigger afm, im thinking it acts like a mas air flow for a small six since its used on a big six originally.

Comment

all the AFM does is tell the ecu how much air is coming in.

If the bigger AFM tells the ecu that much more air is coming in, all the chip does it put that much fuel through the injectors.

you would still benefit from a chip, because the chip remaps the whole air/fuel chart, it doesn't just tell itself theres more air going in.

The 027 M30 AFMs are direct "bolt" on I guess you could say, although there are no bolts involved lol.

Comment

I have done this. But, i would recomend including to your list of mods; m30 injectors and an AFR. Also, a wide band o2 sensor if you have a FL.

Have a look at this:

Comment

Originally posted by bumpstop335i
              I have done this. But, i would recomend including to your list of mods; m30 injectors and an AFR. Also, a wide band o2 sensor if you have a FL.

Have a look at this:
              http://www.davelength.net/car/bigsix.html
              - M50 or S50 injectors would work better and are easier to find than M30 injectors.

- AFPR, Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator would really help, I agree.

What's FL?

Comment

sweet thanks for your help guys, i looked at the article and its definitely do-able but it doesnt seem worth it seeing that im doing an e36 m3 motor swap within the next year and my cars got 340 000 km's on the original engine. dinans got 50% off their software right now and the price is right its good enough for now

thanks again bimmer adam

Comment

Originally posted by bimmer_adam69
                  sweet thanks for your help guys, i looked at the article and its definitely do-able but it doesnt seem worth it seeing that im doing an e36 m3 motor swap within the next year and my cars got 340 000 km's on the original engine. dinans got 50% off their software right now and the price is right its good enough for now

thanks again bimmer adam
                  340k on an "i" m20...no rebuild???
                  90is, longtube headers/straight pipe/mark d 18# 93 0ctane chip/18# injectors/vogtland springs/bilst. sports

:firehop:

Comment

ya no rebuild, re did the front of the engine last weekend timing belt was still in good codition but i replaced it anyway lol

Comment

Originally posted by german g
                      340k on an "i" m20...no rebuild???
                      that's not that bad.. 211,000 miles. my parts car had 218k and the engine was fine, and my motor with 181k would have kept going if I hadn't built a stroker.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

hey nando, ya i know and it still runs strong. this is probably a very dumb question but when they say stroker do they mean they bore out the block or is it a 2.7 block and an i head?? thanks adam

Comment

it depends. mine is bored out 2mm with an 81mm e crank (longer stroke, thus the stroker) and forged pistons, not just an e motor with an i head slapped on.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by bimmer_adam69
                            hey nando, ya i know and it still runs strong. this is probably a very dumb question but when they say stroker do they mean they bore out the block or is it a 2.7 block and an i head?? thanks adam
                            a stroker is simply putting in a new crank with longer throw.
                            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

hmm thanx guys thought i would get laughed at

Comment

Working...
                              X