Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2.85 (2.9) Stroker with S50 Crank - it lives!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah feel free to reach out! There are others who have way more experience, but I'll be happy to share the little I know.

I'm curious, for those of you who have used a cam gear. I have been wary of adjusting it because I didn't check P2V clearance when assembling at any point beyond 0 advance/retard. Are there any tips for messing with it without destroying the valves? I was thinking if I was careful I could adjust it and use a long piece of solder to check clearance each time, but this seems pretty tedious.

Comment

What i did was rotate the piston to just after TDC (5-10*) on inlet stroke where min clearance is on inlet . i made a lever tool that gets bolted down using the rocker cover studs with a pivot and lever that allows you to slowly press down on the rocker near the eccentric. You can feel the hard point but you want a fair amount of leverage to have some finesse and not smack into the piston too hard. this doesn't check radial clearance but with stock pistons you should be fine where as aftermarket all bets are off
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

I use solder after assembly, and clay during. Your idea sounds nifty, though, Digger. Sounds like it would be easy to use a dial indicator on such a setup too.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

The solder method definitely sounds easier. I've used it on the exhaust side before, but where do you go in for the intake side?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm advancing the cam the intake clearance is the one I'm concerned with, exhaust clearance should increase with cam advance.

If its not too much trouble i'd be interested to see a pic of your tool Digger

Comment

Install a weak valve spring. You can then push down the valve with your finger. Rest the dial indicator tip on the retainer at 90 deg. to check clearance.

Comment

Originally posted by sert57 View Post
              The solder method definitely sounds easier. I've used it on the exhaust side before, but where do you go in for the intake side?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm advancing the cam the intake clearance is the one I'm concerned with, exhaust clearance should increase with cam advance.

If its not too much trouble i'd be interested to see a pic of your tool Digger
              sorry I dont have a pic the tool is long gone, I might see if I can mock something unbelievably ghetto up really quickly to illustrate though

Originally posted by e30sh View Post
              Install a weak valve spring. You can then push down the valve with your finger. Rest the dial indicator tip on the retainer at 90 deg. to check clearance.
              It’s a pita to remove the spring in situ without a special tool
              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

This thread is great. I should be picking up a 100k M20 this weekend and it will be the base for my stroker build. Thanks for documenting your adventure with this.
                09 BMW 328xi touring 6spd
                05 Subaru Outback XT 5spd
                87 BMW 325is
                a few bicycles

Comment

Working...
                X