Turbo stroker combo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo stroker combo?

I have a disassembled 325ix block at the moment. I have a chance to pick up a 325e for very cheap. Can i use the following combination for a turbo stroker?

325ix block
    325e crank
    325e rods
    325ix pistons
    885 head
    325IX Build Thread
    RX7 Build Thread

You don't want to use the 325ix pistons. Just use the 2.7 ETA short block with the 2.5 885 head. This will result in a boost ready 2.7.

Comment

^ That. You don't want to use the ix block because ix specific.
      AWD > RWD

Comment

I need the ix block because it will be going in a ix :)
        325IX Build Thread
        RX7 Build Thread

Comment

Ok then the easiest way to do this is to just pull the oil pan off your 325ix block and pull the rotating assembly out of it and install the entire rotating assembly from the 2.7 ETA (crankshaft, rods and pistons).

Comment

Okay cool. I was under the impression the eta pistons would not mate up with the 885 head. This cleans up ambiguity.
            325IX Build Thread
            RX7 Build Thread

Comment

Actually, the best combo with what you have would be to use the 885 head, ix block, eta crank/rods and shave the block deck 2mm. This will give you a low 9's:1 compression (still very boost friendly), but you will take advantage of the proper piston to head squish. The eta pistons and 885 head are not a good combination and really lack power (plus have an ugly 8.3:1 static compression). Since you are going turbo, and to keep a tight budget you would actually be better off leaving the whole 2.5 - it will make MORE power as a full 2.5 ;) I have built many many of them...

The ONLY time using eta pistons is an advantage is when you started with an eta car and just swap the top end (then you can do it without even pulling the engine). It is a down-grade for a 2.5 equipped car to add eta internals.

N/A I have never seen over 150whp using eta pistons, 885 head and stock cam etc (even balancing/porting/shaving to the max etc), but a fresh b25 will do 154-157 with just fresh rings/bearings and rebuilt head. Now, the eta pistons/885 head with an eta intake manifold ("i" TB, with manifold bored to match) we saw 145whp/170wtq - but it fell on it's face at ~5500rpm.

A well balanced 2.5 with a good valve job, everything balanced, machined fresh, _.5mm pistons etc will do mid-160 whp/tq.

One other exception is if you can find the 1988 eta with it's factory 2.7/885head combo. Then this is a real 2.7 with proper squish. We built one last year (just fresh bearings/rings/reman head) and made 295whp/312tq with a small turbo and 12psi.

Seeing you have an ix, all those whp will be even lower than my examples...

john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

+1 for mild turbo engine id build build much the same as mild NA then just tune it properly.
                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Alrighty. 2.5 it is! That money will be better spent on new bearings and rings then! Time to get this build started. Thanks for your input guys.
                  325IX Build Thread
                  RX7 Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                  X