Dbilas camshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

something like that

if you widen the lobe separation and add duration you end up not changing overlap that much. it more affects the exhaust valve open and inlet valve close points.

at low rpm the early exhaust opening reduces the amount of power you extract from the burn as you release it down the exhaust as wasted heat and pressure instead of transferring to the crank. at higher rpm it becomes necessary to open the valve earlier anyway so you have enough time for exhaust gas to be removed. so early exhaust vale open is more beneficial at the topend less at the bottom end

at low rpm the late inlet valve closing late causes reversion as the piston pushes the inlet charge back up (it has worse trapping efficiency and dynamic compression). at higher rpm the additional air velocity counteracts the force of the piston and continues to keep filling despite the piston moving upwards, this is the ramming effect. So late closing inlet is also more beneficial at the topend less at the bottom.
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

makes sense.

on the related but unrelated note:
      once this engine is built and running on stock Motronic 1.3, I will be going to MS. Hopefully shortly after, ITBs.
      Do I need slightly cooler plugs for my setup, something like bpr6es? Also what injectors would you recommend?

Comment

Do not want to spoil this fantastic conversation, but cams measurements should be taken at working conditions environment simulation, i.e. rocker to valve clearance 0.30 mm.
        Of course, Digger will find a way around this, he is like Bear Grills. :)

Comment

Originally posted by apostate View Post
          Of course, Digger......is like Bear Grills. :)
          count me in :)
          Last edited by jeffnhiscars; 07-09-2017, 05:41 PM.
          Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
          Alice the Time Capsule
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
          87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Do not want to spoil this fantastic conversation, but cams measurements should be taken at working conditions environment simulation, i.e. rocker to valve clearance 0.30 mm.
            he measured his data with clearance set to 0.25 mm as per specs so what you see is what you get
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
              makes sense.

on the related but unrelated note:
              once this engine is built and running on stock Motronic 1.3, I will be going to MS. Hopefully shortly after, ITBs.
              Do I need slightly cooler plugs for my setup, something like bpr6es? Also what injectors would you recommend?
              i would use a NGK BPR6ES which is one step colder.

normally id say that 24lb would be the go as thats probably what youd need with the ITB kit, not sure how that would work with M1.3 with stock manifold pending on what chip you had. i might be inclined to try 19lb on a stock chip

Comment

Thank you

Comment

lash is a cam specific spec. OEM is 0.25mm, same as Dbilas spec for their 276 cam. I actually moved the lash down to 0.2mm as per Dbilas spec for their 284 cam just for the experiment. No, 0.05mm didn't change everything all that much.

Another interesting observation with this cam and HD rockers. I noticed that max lift is about 0.001" higher going counterclockwise on the crank. Makes me believe that cam lobes are not symmetrical at all. Kind of skeptical about 1mm lift measurements to figure out LSA since I have a suspicion that LCA is way off of LCL
                  Last edited by zaq123; 07-09-2017, 06:35 PM.

Comment

the cam is not symmetrical in that peak lift angle occurs at different point compared to middle of opening and closing points.

you should get same answer rotating both ways within the tolerance and accuracy of the method. note that any slop in the system could possibly change depending which way you rotate but my guess thing its just an accuracy repeatability error

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                      i would use a NGK BPR6ES which is one step colder.

normally id say that 24lb would be the go as thats probably what youd need with the ITB kit, not sure how that would work with M1.3 with stock manifold pending on what chip you had. i might be inclined to try 19lb on a stock chip
                      anyone has a part number for #19lb injectors? I searched and my head is spinning from all information....Bosch type III, type II, Ford, clip fits, clip doesn't fit, dremel something....
                      I'm overloaded with the info but still can't find what I need.. Thank you in advance

Comment

are two that should work

Comment

Just general cam question. Advertised duration... at what lift? I read somewhere that SAE standard is 0.006" (0.15mm). Is this the same for European makers? Looks like Catcams measure their duration at 0.1mm
                          Last edited by zaq123; 07-13-2017, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Schrick use the end of clearance ramp on opening to start of clearance ramp on closing according to them. On the cam I measured it Would be less than 0.1mm not much more than seat to seat once clearance is factored. I've only measured a 288. Different manufacturers use different standards so you can't directly compare. Aftermarket performance parts are often smoke and mirrors.

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post

the 288 schrick inlet lobe is -38 (38 BTDC), 250 (70 ABDC) = 288 @ 106 centreline.
                              I was looking at 288 Schtick cam...was the above numbers plotted? Schrick lists this cam as 110 LC and 34/74-74/34

I'm going to redo my plotting. I did a quick check for cylinder#4 lobes and I come up with ~110LCA for both IN and EX.
                              Where do you normally put the dial needle? I rested mine on the valve retainer (side of the eccentric bolt). I suspect that it maybe moves along the retainer profile when valve goes up/down and throwing off my readings (dial not precisely plumb??). Although unlikely since I checked both #1 and #6 and they came very close.....but this #4 is a little different for some reason....
                              Last edited by zaq123; 07-13-2017, 07:13 PM.

Comment

i put on face of valve as i normally do the head alone referencing the TDC for the cam. on the retainer is ok near the edge there is a flatish spot, i have a screw on tip attachment that makes it better as if there isnt a flat spot on the retainer as it will pickup on a convex surface if you square it up properly it works well

Become a Machineryhouse Mate! Australia's leading supplier of Engineering, Metal & Wood working machinery. Buy online or in-store.

i checked and those are plotted for the schrick, the whole cam is advanced about 4 degrees

numbers are
                                inlet 38,70 =288 ICL 106
                                exh 78,30 = 288 ECL 114

so its advanced 4 degrees, a simple adjustment with cam gear and GTG, would work well a bit advanced anyway

Comment

Working...
                                X