Cold Start Issue: Wont hold idle after ~30sec SOLVED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold Start Issue: Wont hold idle after ~30sec SOLVED

Hey all, bought my 325i a few weeks ago and its been good overall, but Ive been having a cold start issue.

Symptoms: At initial start-up it fires up immediately and purrs at ~700rpms. No bouncing or hunting at all. Then it will just die. It will have some trouble starting after this, but eventually when the car is warm the issue goes away. My temp solution was to hold the "idle" at ~1500rpms initially, then 2500-3000rpms more recently to speed up the time to get it to operating temp. Also, if it tries to die, sometimes I can power through it. This seemed to be work while I tried to chip away at it, but today it got the best of me and now Im asking for R3Vs help...

What Ive done so far: When it first happened I did some searching and asking around and the consensus was to change the Coolant Temp Sensors. I ordered both the one for the cluster (Brown) and the DME (Blue) since they were cheap and a 5 minute job to change. I got them through Blunt and we decided of the many options to use a Bosch sensor for the DME. This seemed to slightly change the "attitude" of the issue. Prior to the change it would be a softer stumble and ultimate death. After it seemed like it was a stronger death and I couldnt recover it. This is where I increased the rpms from ~1500 -> ~2500 and I could basically warm the car up faster and I had a better chance at fighting off the death.

Today, it wasnt cooperating at all. The car was parked for 3 days while I was gone for the long weekend. Same story, it fired up immediately, I held idle at 2500 then after ~30seconds: death. typically it comes back to life soon after a few tries. Today it didnt want to, and even when it would finally come to life, it would almost immediately die and there was nothing I could do to save it. I wasnt able to warm up the car and eventually threw in the towel and took the Roadster to work.

My guess I strongly feel this is fuel related. The starter looks new and she cranks over hard and consistently. All the ignition related parts look new too, but the fuel injectors look old and are dirty. I was planning on doing the 4-pintle Mustang injector + Sssquid Chip soon, and Im tempted to do this ASAP, but I also dont want to throw parts at it and hide the true problem.

So where should I start?
    Last edited by 2mAn; 12-13-2017, 02:03 PM.
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

If it was me personally I'd start with replacing fuel filter since its cheap enough and testing the fuel pump to make sure its pushing the correct amount of fuel. Id also check the regulator. It does definitely sound like a fueling issue.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

There has been a rash of these types of issues lately (including on our ETA) and in many cases its the CPS so that has become my goto suggestion.
      Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
      Alice the Time Capsule
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
        If it was me personally I'd start with replacing fuel filter since its cheap enough and testing the fuel pump to make sure its pushing the correct amount of fuel. Id also check the regulator. It does definitely sound like a fueling issue.
        Yea the Fuel Filter and fuel lines are good maintenance parts and wouldnt be a waste, but I doubt this will fix the problem.

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
        There has been a rash of these types of issues lately (including on our ETA) and in many cases its the CPS so that has become my goto suggestion.
        Really?... a Crank Position Sensor? never thought of that one.

Are there any other sensors I should look at replacing?
        Simon
        Current Cars:

Comment

Bump

Went home and it fired up in the afternoon and didnt give me much of a headache and drove fine to work today. It still had the hiccup, but I was able to power past it. She didnt die and got up to temp. It seems to be an occasional serious issue, but its an issue nonetheless, so I want to get it done sooner than later. Its only going to get colder from here, so Im assuming this will only get harder until its fixed
          Simon
          Current Cars:

Comment

I had an issue with my car where it would die at idle (when warm).

I was thinking I was getting it going with starter fluid, but my mechanic swapped the sensors on the bell housing (one for tach, and one for spark timing) and haven't had the issue since.

Can you verify if your issue is fuel, or spark?
            (I thought I was getting spark, but that was still the issue.)

Comment

Originally posted by Tinkerer007 View Post
              I had an issue with my car where it would die at idle (when warm).

I was thinking I was getting it going with starter fluid, but my mechanic swapped the sensors on the bell housing (one for tach, and one for spark timing) and haven't had the issue since.

Can you verify if your issue is fuel, or spark?
              (I thought I was getting spark, but that was still the issue.)
              You have an Eta, i's don't have these but the E30 M3 does. Older system, i's use the reference sensor on the front of the crank vs the flywheel sensors.
              https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Im going to change the CPS and also the fuel filter. I dont think either of these will solve the problem, but they are good items to replace on a car thats just about 30 years old. I will check to see if they CPS looks bad.

Im really thinking I should change the injectors too, but I want to work my way to them
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

Does it seem to run rich or lean when it starts initially?
                  Don't know how relevant, but on my 2.9 i had an issue with the ford injectors leaking. It made cold starts fine, but warm starts were tricky. It even died on me twice on the road.
                  May be relevant, but with this problem im leaning towards not.

Icv?

Comment

I would definitely clean your ICV if I were you, I had a similar problem with my ETA. It would fire up and idle fine at first, but instead of just straight up dying, the idle would surge like crazy for a few seconds and then die. I also have a set of freshly rebuilt 19lb injectors if you're interested.
                    Injectors - services, upgrades, rebuild kits and stock sets available! 14.5lb, 17lb, 19lb, 21lb, 28lb, 33lb, M20B27 injectors available https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413372

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmer_Baron View Post
                      I would definitely clean your ICV if I were you, I had a similar problem with my ETA. It would fire up and idle fine at first, but instead of just straight up dying, the idle would surge like crazy for a few seconds and then die. I also have a set of freshly rebuilt 19lb injectors if you're interested.
                      Excellent first post Sir! haha I really should clean the ICV to eliminate that as an issue, as Im sure it needs a cleaning anyways.
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

Smoke test to see if there are any vac leaks??
                        - Greg
                        α Team Founding Member
                        1984 BMW 325 Henna Rot - Sarah -Uber project
                        2011 BMW 335d LeMans Blau - Daily Diesel Torque monster

Comment

Originally posted by Gregolas View Post
                          Smoke test to see if there are any vac leaks??
                          I could do that, but I think a vac leaks would be a different issue. Wont hurt to do it though. Cleaned the ICV and it seemed like it was already clean. This car keeps showing that its been well maintained. Went to change the airfilter while the ICV was drying and the filter looked new and wasnt dirty at all. The inside of the AFM also looked squeaky clean

Weird thing is that since I removed the aftermarket alarm, it doesnt seem like this is a problem anymore. However, that being said and tomorrow being monday, I fully expect my week to start with some stress haha I will keep battling this until its gone.

Keep the random ideas coming.
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                            Weird thing is that since I removed the aftermarket alarm, it doesnt seem like this is a problem anymore. However, that being said and tomorrow being monday, I fully expect my week to start with some stress haha I will keep battling this until its gone.

Keep the random ideas coming.
                            Knew I was wrong...

Monday = no problem
                            Tuesday = small hiccup, but not really an issue
                            Wednesday = a real bitch until I got it going and held it at ~3k rpms until it was warm...

I need to figure this thing out.
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:

Comment

So its basic, but have you checked the engine ground cable? I could see it giving some of the described symptoms.

Comment

Working...
                              X