89 m20b25 swap into 86 Eta car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

89 m20b25 swap into 86 Eta car

Well, I now have my engine to swap into my 86 Eta. It's from an 89 325i and comes complete with the tachometer, 380 DME, and harness.

However, I have some questions. The new harness has a small offshoot from the main ECU plug. What attaches to it?

My old harness has two visable offshoots near the ECU pin. One 3 pin connector that goes to the tach, and another one or two pin (forgot) black connector that goes into the dash.

So.... how do I connect the new harness to my tach? What is that other wire in my dash (that currently plugs into my eta harness) for? What do I plug into the connector near the ECU plug in my new harness?
    Budget E30 Parts - Used and Reconditioned parts for your BMW

Strictyleta.com may help
    Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
    Alice the Time Capsule
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
    87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
      Strictyleta.com may help
      He put an 87 engine into an 86 car. Thats fine and dandy, but with the facelift things changed.

Would a 87 325i harness fit my 89 325i engine? I hear theyre better for swaps. I don't see why it shouldn't. I don't believe the AFM or ICV changed. It should also fit the 380 DME I believe.
      Last edited by Andre3127; 07-06-2018, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Yeah but if it’s a 325i car it’s different isn’t it?
        Extend the green wire from c104 to your coil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The extra wires on the new harness near the ECU may be for the "check engine" light. We had to wire one into the cluster when putting the M52 engine into our 87 eta car.

The E30 collection:
          1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
          1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
          1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
          1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
          1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
          1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
          1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
          2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
          2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

Originally posted by Andre3127 View Post
            Well, I now have my engine to swap into my 86 Eta. It's from an 89 325i and comes complete with the tachometer, 380 DME, and harness.

However, I have some questions. The new harness has a small offshoot from the main ECU plug. What attaches to it?

My old harness has two visable offshoots near the ECU pin. One 3 pin connector that goes to the tach, and another one or two pin (forgot) black connector that goes into the dash.

So.... how do I connect the new harness to my tach? What is that other wire in my dash (that currently plugs into my eta harness) for? What do I plug into the connector near the ECU plug in my new harness?

Those extra wires near the DME plug are not used in an early model. However, you will need to use the 3 wire white plug in your glove box to provide signals that would normally go through the c101 (round connector on firewall). As Jeff said, stricklyeta.net is a good source. The green wire on that plug is the drive away protection, the yellow is the economy gauge under the tach, and the black is the tach signal itself.

Your BIGGEST concern will be pin #20 in the c101. Some cars used it as a ground, some used it to power the ABS, and some are empty. If it's empty on the car side, you have no worries.

If you hook up the c101 and don't pay attention to #20, you will fry your engine and body harnesses.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
              Those extra wires near the DME plug are not used in an early model. However, you will need to use the 3 wire white plug in your glove box to provide signals that would normally go through the c101 (round connector on firewall). As Jeff said, stricklyeta.net is a good source. The green wire on that plug is the drive away protection, the yellow is the economy gauge under the tach, and the black is the tach signal itself.

Your BIGGEST concern will be pin #20 in the c101. Some cars used it as a ground, some used it to power the ABS, and some are empty. If it's empty on the car side, you have no worries.

If you hook up the c101 and don't pay attention to #20, you will fry your engine and body harnesses.
              :shock:
              Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
              Alice the Time Capsule
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
              87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

FF,

I am aware of pin 20. Thanks for making sure I was aware!

And I do know about that 3 pin connector. I did some digging last night and compared pins between both DME plugs. I now know which ones I need to tap into to feed the body harness. Where do I connect the drive away protection wire? I didn't even know that existed.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Comment

From here:

If you have an OBC with the CODE feature active (and you still want to have it functional), then you'll also have to bridge the wire from pin #38
                  Cars with a 13 button OBC have a drive away protection (early form of EWS). You enter a code and the car will not start unless the code is re-entered.

EDIT: Center wire in this pic:

john@m20guru.com
                  Links:
                  Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

From here:

Cars with a 13 button OBC have a drive away protection (early form of EWS). You enter a code and the car will not start unless the code is re-entered.

EDIT: Center wire in this pic:

I have a 6 button OBC. I'll have to look and see if it has a code feature. I forgot all about that!

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Comment

was how I stuck a '91 engine into an '87 shell.

I forget the details- I printed the '87 manual, and 'updated' it so it matches my car...

t
                      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                      X