95k miles on the block, leaking, noisy lifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

95k miles on the block, leaking, noisy lifters

Over the summer I swapped the block with a 95k mile one, the head was rebuilt in 2010 so I just reused it. The car has been running great since then put about 5-6k miles on it so far but IÂ’m having a few issues. I canÂ’t get it to stop leaking oil, I started of with 20-50 and it leaked like hell out of many areas of the oil pan like 5 possibly more... these donÂ’t seem like regular leaks usually leaks happen out of one area maybe 2, was also leaking out of the oil filter housing where it mates on the block, the leak is also worse on start up, IÂ’d see fresh oil actually come out soon as the car turned over then just about stop once warm. I came to the conclusion that the oil was possibly too thick so I went to 10-40... the leaking has subsided a lot but it stilll leaks. The car also stalls if not properly warmed up and even worse now in the winter 45-50F also indicating maybe the oil is still too thick... itÂ’s a lower mileage engine some what, what do you guys think? Could it possibly be the oil pressure regulator? Looking to install a oil pressure gauge soon so at least IÂ’ll know more whatÂ’s going on, canÂ’t find one to rent to check it. I also canÂ’t get this tick out of my valve train ether, itÂ’s silent usually on startup but gets to ticking once hot, tried adjusting many times. Appreciate the help!

Any help is appreciated

Comment

If its leaking where its not supposed to changing oil viscocity wont fix it. have you pulled off the oil filter doovey and changed the seal?

Comment

Noisy lifters? M20's don't have lifters, guy.
        Budget E30 Parts - Used and Reconditioned parts for your BMW

Comment

Originally posted by Andre3127 View Post
          Noisy lifters? M20's don't have lifters, guy.
          rockers*

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
            If its leaking where its not supposed to changing oil viscocity wont fix it. have you pulled off the oil filter doovey and changed the seal?
            Not yet will give that a try forsure in the next month or so, I’ve just been trying to check out other possible causes before dropping that and the pan. The way it’s leaking is just very od to me. That and the way I can hardly get out of nutural when the engine is cold.... I’m only talking about 45-50F outside temps, running 10-40w.

Comment

Just a wild guess....did you use a cork pan gasket ?
              Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
              Alice the Time Capsule
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
              87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                Just a wild guess....did you use a cork pan gasket ?
                I read the paper ones were better the one i have is green, originally i bought a cork version but ended up not using it. I also put great rtv on the corners of the pan.... I did this all before a year ago and had no issues so this is weird.

Comment

Did you try retightening it, gently? I find the oil pan bolts can loosen slightly.
                  And your description of it leaking less as it warms would follow that.

Otherwise, you just solve each leak as you find it- these cars can be made almost
                  leak- free, but it takes work.

As to your ticking valves, you may find you need new eccentrics. If they don't
                  get adjusted regularly, they get flats on them, and can be noisy.

t
                  now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                  X