Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Testing Ignition Coil - What’s the proper resistance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing Ignition Coil - What’s the proper resistance?

Bentley manual says 0.50 ohms for primary resistance and 5000 ohms for secondary resistance. I tested my coil and it’s 1.2 ohms primary and 5700 secondary. Bentley manual says to replace if higher than the listed values so I got a new Bosch coil. New coil tests 1.2 ohms primary and 6600 ohms secondary. Tested with 2 different Fluke multimeters. What does it mean? Are both bad or is the old one okay?
    Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Why are you texting coils on first place? When I tested mine years ago it didnt match with bentley either but there weren't any issues. I'd say it's fine
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

I bought 2 new ones and it was nowhere near spec in the Bentley. It's fine.
      AWD > RWD

Comment

Refreshing everything and the old plugs have carbon deposits so I thought I’d test the coil.

Comment

I found your thread about this here: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=376659

So I guess the new coil is fine. To test the old one it looks like I'd need to use an oscilloscope.

I looked up how to test it in the factory E30 repair manual and it has a 3 step procedure:

1. "Multimeter Test: Measure resistance of primary coil - term. 1/15 = 0.5 ohm +-10% and secondary coil - term. 15/4 = 6k ohms +-10%."

2. "Inspect connection plate for hairline cracks and traces of burning. Check plug (S) for tight fit - replace ignition coil if it is pressed out."

3. "Connect BMW Service Tester on diagnosis socket. Run engine test step 09. Observe oscilloscope - ignition voltage = 6 to 14 kV. Check ignition voltage deviation = < 3 kV."

Comment

Working...
          X