Buying a NEW M20 Cylinder Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a NEW M20 Cylinder Head

I'm having trouble finding a good 731 head for my M20 rebuild. Maybe its due to my location, or popularity with the 2.7 stroker conversion, but there is nothing around right now.

I am considering buying a new one. ECS/Turner have them all. Who here has purchased a new M20 head, 885 or 731, in recent years? What is the quality of them like?

I don't want to buy a genuine head and find -despite the BMW logo- they are now manufactured by AMC, as this would be a step down from original quality.

I did find some new-old stock with build dates in the 80's, but they seem to have been sitting on a warehouse shelf exposed to moisture corrosion for the last 30 years, with pitting in the combustion pockets e.t.c

885 BMW heads are NLA

though 731 genuine seem to be available about $1400 USD

p/n 11121277753

schmeidmann will be your best bet or try email blunttech
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

I see m20b23s come up fairly often for sale, people wreck 323i cars all the time.

Where in Aus are you?

Comment

depends how desperate you are. if you have time to wait then i agree gumtree and the like will turn up something. Theres an engine on there that apparently comes with a 731 for $1500 which i'm sure could be low balled adequately (been listed for a while) and pieced out, there's always the risk of it being cracked though.
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

I saw on Turner/ECS they had the 731 head for $1330. That's what prompted this post.

I'm in Adelaide and we just found one today.... will see how it goes.
          I did find a bunch of reconditioned heads but the engine builder says they usually have the valves cut/ground sloppily.

Rama in QLD could not/would not do a hardness test on any of his available unworked cores, which is strange for someone that has $$$ performance flow testing equipment.

Comment

Theres an m20b23 up near me for $250. Maybe i should go and get it....

Comment

Originally posted by agisthos View Post
              I saw on Turner/ECS they had the 731 head for $1330. That's what prompted this post.

I'm in Adelaide and we just found one today.... will see how it goes.
              I did find a bunch of reconditioned heads but the engine builder says they usually have the valves cut/ground sloppily.

Rama in QLD could not/would not do a hardness test on any of his available unworked cores, which is strange for someone that has $$$ performance flow testing equipment.
              get a shipping quote and see how you like it....lol $430 USD

i've never heard of anyone hardness testing cores unless its been hugely weld repaired near the seats which you'd probably steer clear of anyway.
              Last edited by digger; 07-22-2019, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                get a shipping quote and see how you like it....lol $430 USD

i've never heard of anyone hardness testing cores unless its been hugely weld repaired near the seats which you'd probably steer clear of anyway.
                Already did. I have shipped many large items from the US and for years use bulk reshipper myus.com and it will be about $210 USD, half that rate.

And if I get it send to my friend in Wisconsin first, he can remove the invoice and I can declare value at will, saving on all taxes. So total cost landed here in OZ is about $2200 AUD.

The head i looked at today was $500, and then all the machine shop labor to get it up to the level of a new head, plus 12 new valve guides.

So its not like $500 vs $2200, more like $1000+ vs $2200. Once I did the math it does not seem so crazy.

Comment

I'm not alone in the trouble I've had with shipment from ECS that I would never do business with them again. I sure wouldn't trust them to get an expensive and precious part across the pond.

For the budget you're talking about why not get Rama to build you a head and be done with it
                  Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                  Alice the Time Capsule
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                  87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by agisthos View Post
                    Already did. I have shipped many large items from the US and for years use bulk reshipper myus.com and it will be about $210 USD, half that rate.

And if I get it send to my friend in Wisconsin first, he can remove the invoice and I can declare value at will, saving on all taxes. So total cost landed here in OZ is about $2200 AUD.

The head i looked at today was $500, and then all the machine shop labor to get it up to the level of a new head, plus 12 new valve guides.

So its not like $500 vs $2200, more like $1000+ vs $2200. Once I did the math it does not seem so crazy.
                    try email blunttech their shipping may be slightly better again

Comment

What about BimmerHeads? Either have them build you a head or maybe they will sell you a reconditioned core.

Comment

I have an 885 head casting off of the seta im building. I don't plan on using it or the extra 2.5l intake manifold I have if your interested. The head in question is in visibly good condition (never been to the machine shop) and is complete. drilled for 7 bearing cam. PM me if your interested. id let it go cheap to get some extra money for my build.

Comment

Working...
                        X