Car grinds on crank occasionally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car grinds on crank occasionally

Maybe I'm stupid and this is just a dying battery, but my e30 developed a weird issue this weekend.

Half the time when I turn the car over, it starts just fine. Now though, it'll crank for a second and then come to an immediate stop with a nasty grinding sound. If I turn the key again, nothing happens like the battery is dead. If I wait a few seconds, it'll turn over normally and start right up. The reason I don't think this is a dead battery is that when I wait and crank it again, it cranks at full speed, not like it's struggling to turn over.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

I think it's your starter that's acting up? Maybe the solenoid that suddenly stops working.
    1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
    1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Your starter is going bad.
      Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
        Your starter is going bad.
        Everything I've seen about bad starters didn't include mention of the crank stopping. When it cranks successfully there's no grinding noise. I'll investigate anyway.

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

If the solenoid is going bad it may fail to pop the pinion out far enough to engage the ring gear and cause it to grind. Bench testing repeatedly would probably confirm this failure mode.

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          [CoTM: 4-18]
          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
          - updated 3-17

Comment

Starter for sure
            Byron
            Leichtbau

Comment

Working...
            X