Can anyone suggest rods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone suggest rods?

Anyone have any suggestions about who makes the best lightweight rods? I dig the korman ones but something tells me they won't be cheap!

Thanks!

Im gonna bump this because im beginning to think of how im gonna build my m20.

Whats the deal with S50/52 rods? Dont all the m/s50 engines use 135mm rods? So how good are the benefits?
    --Will

Comment

M52 and S50/S52 rods are all quite a bit lighter (80-100grams each) than M20 rods. the M52 are probably the strongest of the bunch, while the S50 are the lightest. And yes they are all 135mm. I paid $300 for a set of S50 rods.

you can get eagle H-beam forged rods for about $550 a set - they will be both stronger and lighter than the S50/M52 rods, and you can get them in whatever length you wish.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

How heavy are the stock m20 rods?

Comment

~665 grams
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I would like to lighten my stock rods and was told if I use the angle grinder I should grind in the direction of the rod motion, has anyone heard of this before? Also what is a safe weight I can bring each of them down to?

Comment

Originally posted by eugeman View Post
              I would like to lighten my stock rods and was told if I use the angle grinder I should grind in the direction of the rod motion, has anyone heard of this before?
              yes, thats so the grinding tool marks are parallel to the principal stress direction which is less likely to produce a fatigue crack than having the tool marks transverse.
              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
              X