$100 Reward For Right Answer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$100 Reward For Right Answer

I mean it, I will paypal $100 to the person who helps me solve the problem.

Engine turns, but won't start. This is 1989 325iS. Was converted from automatic.

Fuel pump works, with starting fluid car fires up. ECU works (tried 2 spares, no result) Crank sensor works. Spark plugs new, so are most of the ignition parts. Replace all relays with spares. With test light checked every damn wire. Fuel injectors are firing. I drained the tack, replaced fuel filter, and put fresh gas in.

Here's my problem. With main relay in, ICV makes weird sounds. Any one have any ideas.

Give me an idea and how to test it, I'll try it, if it works, I'll send you $100, not kidding, I want my baby back.

Ask me questions if you need more details..

ANSWER: I had a melted wiring harness, where multiple wires got fused together. I ended up parting the car, and that's how I found those wires after I removed carpet. I can't believe how much time I've spent on this car, and that outcome never crossed my mind.
    Last edited by Aptyp; 06-22-2009, 11:07 PM.

Try a different coil. Problem sounds electrical.

1991 325ic and 1991 318is

Comment

Any symptoms leading up to this? Any major work performed recently?

Have you tested the AFM per the Bentley manual?

So it starts and runs for a few seconds with starting fluid?
      85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
      e30 restoration and V8 swap
      24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Unplug the coolant senser, then try to start it.

1992 BMW 325iC
        1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
        1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Your fuel lines are reversed.

Comment

Unhook the ICV for one it will run at around 800 with it unhooked, are your catilatic convertes good, have you checked your AFM air door for movement, are you getting fuel to the rail, is the spark blue or white? When it does fire up on starter fluid does it run smoothly, do you know the fuel pressure, have you checked the condition of your plugs, do they get wet, when was the last time you put a timing belt on, when it last ran what did it do?

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
            1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

you check for spark? im guessing spark or timing related if the plugs are wet. good luck and you shouldn't have to pay anyone 100 dollars for help, thats what forums are for.
              97 tacoma 5 spd 4 cylinder
              2001 330ci 5 speed
              83 733i 5 speed, (FS)

Comment

Take the bottom rear seat off and take the covers off for the fuel tank and make sure all the connectors are connected.

Comment

Originally posted by CBi View Post
                  Your fuel lines are reversed.
                  Hmmmmmm, that's a possibility. Easy test, take off the fuel line going to the fuel rail and crank the engine over. You should have fuel shooting out of that line (so put it into a bucket/cup). If you dont, then you've got them backwards. If the fuel feed line is going into the FPR's outlet it might keep any fuel from getting to the fuel rail.

From your starter fluid test, your engine's getting spark, and the timing is good. The engine just isnt getting fuel.

Do the test above, and if it checks out okay, then make sure the injectors are getting fuel (there's fuel in the injector rail) and they're spraying fuel properly.

Comment

try swapping the two plugs located under the diagnostic connector(that's if they have been undone in the past).
                    Also was the needed wiring done under the dash, when the automatic swap was done?
                    85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Originally posted by rs4pro3 View Post
                      try swapping the two plugs located under the diagnostic connector(that's if they have been undone in the past).
                      Also was the needed wiring done under the dash, when the automatic swap was done?
                      thats what im wondering. maybe some one messed with some of the wires under the dash?

www.gutenparts.com
                      One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Ok I checked through the help, fuel hoses were not reversed. Tried other coil. Relays are fine, problem has to be electrical, but ignition. Pressure regulator is new, unless it's defective new. Timing belt service was done. I always under impretion that temp sensor had more to do with idling, and not starting, I'll check it out in a little bit. Symptoms up to it are none, I parked the car for few cold months, now I get this.

Comment

The wiring swap under the dash? A lot of wires were removed all together, and neutral safety switch is not needed. The car starts with out it. The car ran after the swap for over a year.

Comment

Since the engine will fire with starting fluid and you claim that the injectors are firing, the most logical cause would be insufficient fuel pressure. You need to throw a gauge on the inlet line to the fuel rail and see if you have at least 2.5bar.
                            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                              Since the engine will fire with starting fluid and you claim that the injectors are firing, the most logical cause would be insufficient fuel pressure. You need to throw a gauge on the inlet line to the fuel rail and see if you have at least 2.5bar.
                              +1 Check for fuel pressure, spark and spark plug condition, next is compression lol

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
                              1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

Working...
                              X