A few rebuild questions on E bottom end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few rebuild questions on E bottom end

Long and short is that I have a 325is with a bottom end that was in bad shape so I got a hold of an E bottom end that was in good shape and put new rings and bearings using the rest of the E bottom end (crank, rods, and pistons)... but I have a few questions on final assembly.

The 85 E vibration damper is different than the 87 i... and the donor E crankshaft sensor that was different than the i. I am running MegaSquirt and recall during initial setup there were some tooth settings for timing but the E looks to have no teeth (or dentures either). I don't know if I could just use the toothed damper from the i and bolt it to the E crank and use the i crank sensor... or whether I have to use the E damper and E sensor and what ramifications that has on MS?

Of less importance... I have a extra new camshaft seal and would like to know if they are the same as the intermediate shaft seal as I need to replace mine (looked for size but can't find it) If by chance anyone knows please let me know otherwise will just order one new.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

You need to run the front balancer and crank position sensor bracket from the B25 engine - I would recommend buying a new crank position sensor for your engine. FWIW, the B27 gets its engine speed information from the reference sensors on the flywheel, while the B25 gets it off the front balancer. Good luck.
    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Thank you will do.... and as a side not the seal for the camshaft is the same size as the intermediate shaft after pulling out the old magnifying glass.

Comment

curious why you put new rings and bearings in the eta bottom end instead of the 'i' one? or a mix and match stroker
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

My I piston rings on 2 cylinders gave way under boost and looked to be in rough shape. Rather than risk it I used the eta pistons. I know my compression takes a hit but I rather that than have issues with the i pistons.

Comment

Fair enough of its got metal escargot
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

The 325e ran off a different system than the 325i engine. The only b27 things you want are the pistons, rods, and crank. Use b25 parts from the original engine for everything else.
              Budget E30 Parts - Used and Reconditioned parts for your BMW

Comment

Working...
              X