Rear main seal gasket not sitting flush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear main seal gasket not sitting flush

This is the correct item number. I have put gasket sealer on the metal, then the gasket, then more gasket sealer. It is bending when I line up to the bottom holes.

is this correct?
    Attached Files

i have one here, gasket is klinger OE brand. theres a bit of bunch up but will easily sit flat

89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
      i have one here, gasket is klinger OE brand. theres a bit of bunch up but will easily sit flat

So just slap it on and tighten down? The information I'm seeing - most put gasket maker on the metal, the gasket, and then more gasket maker. Is that the correct procedure? Seems like Bentley doesn't mention that many layers of stuff.

Comment

I just replaced this gasket and installed a new RMS over the weekend, all I did was clean the surfaces and install the new metal housing gasket. No RTV or anything, as I figured what's the point in the gasket if RTV could just be used? Hopefully that doesn't bite me, but the past 150 miles have been leak free.

I don't think adding a bit of RTV will hurt you, if it provides some peace of mind I would go ahead and use it.

Comment

Originally posted by zwill23 View Post
          I just replaced this gasket and installed a new RMS over the weekend, all I did was clean the surfaces and install the new metal housing gasket. No RTV or anything, as I figured what's the point in the gasket if RTV could just be used? Hopefully that doesn't bite me, but the past 150 miles have been leak free.

I don't think adding a bit of RTV will hurt you, if it provides some peace of mind I would go ahead and use it.
          x2. Metal gasket is the way to go. For the extra measure, you can apply easily available permatex high tack. Also use it on the seams where this aluminum seal carrier meets the block and the oil pan.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrcruse View Post

So just slap it on and tighten down? The information I'm seeing - most put gasket maker on the metal, the gasket, and then more gasket maker. Is that the correct procedure? Seems like Bentley doesn't mention that many layers of stuff.
            you'll have to judge if its going to work its way flat. it does/can pivot a bit on the dowel which would tend to reduce the bunched up materialso it wouldn't surprise me if it self adjusts. just make sure you put it on the correct way not like the pic i showed for demonstration purposes.

its ok to use some goop but you dont need heaps as the metal gasket is embossed to impart high contact pressure. i also like the permatex/loctite non hardening tacky stuff/ aviation cement whatever you wan to call it.
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post

you'll have to judge if its going to work its way flat. it does/can pivot a bit on the dowel which would tend to reduce the bunched up materialso it wouldn't surprise me if it self adjusts. just make sure you put it on the correct way not like the pic i showed for demonstration purposes.

its ok to use some goop but you dont need heaps as the metal gasket is embossed to impart high contact pressure. i also like the permatex/loctite non hardening tacky stuff/ aviation cement whatever you wan to call it.
              Thanks. I went and got another gasket from the dealership - fits a lot better than the first one.

Comment

Working...
              X