Does this sound like a bad alternator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this sound like a bad alternator?

Only after more than a half hour of driving, the engine starts making this loud grinding noise, and I suspect it's the alternator. Before removing it, I'd like to get your opinion. Maybe you've heard this before, and it turned out to be something else. I'm 99% sure it's not the water pump or power steering pump. I used a mechanic's stethoscope to listen to various components under the hood, and it seems to be the alternator.

Are you aware of a way I can diagnose the alternator w/o taking it out? The thing that's really throwing me off is that doesn't make noise till the engine has been at full operating temp for quite a long while.

Give a listen:

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

THANKS for the help!
    R135 /// 1990 Alpinweiß II 325is
    └┼┼┘ /// 1993 Black/Black Convertible (sold)

Sounds like a bearing making noise.

As far as diagnosis, I'd drive around with no PS belt for a bit to rule that out, then I'd return home with the car at op temp and remove the main V belt and run the car for a very short duration to see if it is in fact related to a belt driven accessory.

Only realistic thing I can think of would be expansion causing a bearing to get wobbly, but it seems like a very long duration for that scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
      Sounds like a bearing making noise.

As far as diagnosis, I'd drive around with no PS belt for a bit to rule that out, then I'd return home with the car at op temp and remove the main V belt and run the car for a very short duration to see if it is in fact related to a belt driven accessory.

Only realistic thing I can think of would be expansion causing a bearing to get wobbly, but it seems like a very long duration for that scenario.
      Thanks! I'll give that a shot next time the noise happens.
      R135 /// 1990 Alpinweiß II 325is
      └┼┼┘ /// 1993 Black/Black Convertible (sold)

Comment

If you can, pop the accessory belts off one by one when the engine is hot and making the noise to make sure it isn't the timing belt tensioner.

IG @turbovarg
        '91 318is, M20 turbo
        [CoTM: 4-18]
        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
        - updated 3-17

Comment

Working...
        X