Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does regularly adding clay to the intake help seal the piston rings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does regularly adding clay to the intake help seal the piston rings?

I started messing with the rallycross ix that has sat for a few years. If it sits without starting for a few weeks it's now hard to start. Long cranking and some acceleration pedal pumping to get it going. Nice cloud of blue smoke on start up. I kept the filter changed regularly but I never took the boot off to clean the throttle body. And yes, that is is a finger swipe on the left side and yes, nothing even moved. Tacky!

How bad do you guys think the bottom end is? Guesses on what the compression is?
    AWD > RWD

I read on the internet that you can put sand in a running engine to port the cylinder head. Must be true!
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

The bottom end is functional and still in the block, the compression is some. You'll be fine when you add boost.

Comment

Has to be red clay, though- the grey stuff is for the cooling system.

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
          I read on the internet that you can put sand in a running engine to port the cylinder head. Must be true!
          Also great for cleaning off any carbon buildup caused by direct injection!
          If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
            Sand will port the head, clay will extrude hone the manifold.

Comment

Working...
            X