M20 oil pressure sensor location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 oil pressure sensor location

I was originally planning to install oil filter adapter and locate my oil pressure sensor there. do you guys think it is a good idea to install the sensor pre-filter? Stock oil light switch is located in the gallery and reads post filter pressure. Should I find the way to rig the sensor for my oil gauge post filter?

Thanks

I drilled and tapped a hole at the end of the hollow bolt for the OFH. It has a VDO sender on it - has worked fine for the last uh, 14 years I think.

I think I ended up putting the temp sender where the pressure switch used to be.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

i just kept things simple, i used the stock location with an aftermarket VDO sensor with a built in switch function
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

I am also using stock location. I have a bosch dual pressure/temp sensor going in there along with the T for the turbo oil line. Post filter pressure (i.e. what the oil galley and your bearings see) is probably what you really care about anyway, but maybe the pressure drop of the filter isn't significant.

Comment

it makes sense to have the pressure and temp sensor at the same location but at a given rpm the two are kind of inversely proportional so on a NA street car its probably overkill. I have temp in the pan which is fairly useless in absolute terms but relatively it is a reference but i can tell if the oil is hot by looking at the pressure at idle (noting the viscosity) anyway which is all you really need on a street car IMO
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

any thoughts on before and after filter pressure reading? I do like clean idea of the filter adapter with temp and pressure sensors in there. Adapter will let you collect the pressure right before filtering after the oil pump.

Comment

IMO it makes more sense to take in the main gallery post filter

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                i just kept things simple, i used the stock location with an aftermarket VDO sensor with a built in switch function
                yeah a lot of people did that, but on the ix at least there's no way the sender is going to fit in the pressure switch location (I have the same sender as you), so you still have to mount it somewhere and run a line to the port on the block. I also wanted to put the temp sender there for the reasons you noted (the oil pan isn't the best), however to be honest I agree with you, I never really use the temp gauge, only the pressure gauge.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                X