Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine acting up after head gasket/timing belt ect.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nader393 View Post
    Make sure the distributor rotor is indexed correctly on the cam timing pulley. Even if you think it is, go back and take it apart and re-check. I had this problem myself.
    This 100%! Same thing happened to me, car wouldnt start after TB change. Online instructions did not mention this very important step. Went back and put the rotor on in the correct orientation and she started right up.
    89 325ix coupe Diamondschwartz
    1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Originally posted by E30andy View Post

This 100%! Same thing happened to me, car wouldnt start after TB change. Online instructions did not mention this very important step. Went back and put the rotor on in the correct orientation and she started right up.
      it only goes on 1 way doesnt it? the cam gear is dowelled, the rotor adaptor is keyed and rotor only fits 1 way due to bolt pattern?
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post

it only goes on 1 way doesnt it? the cam gear is dowelled, the rotor adaptor is keyed and rotor only fits 1 way due to bolt pattern?
        Nope, I put it on the wrong way. It is keyed, but still possible to put it on wrong if you dont know its keyed. So, if you just put it on without paying attention to keying it properly, its likely its on wrong and thats your problem.
        89 325ix coupe Diamondschwartz
        1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Aden and Nader, thanks for ideas. I’ll check.

Comment

Make sure the distributor rotor is indexed correctly on the cam timing pulley. Even if you think it is, go back and take it apart and re-check. I had this problem myself.
            If it’s not indexed properly do have to take the whole cam sprocket off, or can I remove that index piece so it’s correct?

Comment

No, just remove the rotor. If the cam pulley is not indexed and seated correctly, then the belt would probably not fit.
              '91 325i

Comment

Originally posted by E30andy View Post

Nope, I put it on the wrong way. It is keyed, but still possible to put it on wrong if you dont know its keyed. So, if you just put it on without paying attention to keying it properly, its likely its on wrong and thats your problem.
                just checked on spare head It is massively on the piss when it’s oriented incorrectly. I can’t see how anyone would not notice that. You’d bend something if you torqued it down like that.

89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

No, just remove the rotor. If the cam pulley is not indexed and seated correctly, then the belt would probably not fit.
                  Welp, that was it.... I didn't have it indexed correctly. I'm the moron. I just wish I got your answer before I sent it to the mechanic. Could have saved be a little bit of money. Oh well, it's working now. Thanks for the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by romeo294 View Post

Welp, that was it.... I didn't have it indexed correctly. I'm the moron.
                    cant argue with that

Comment

^ha. Chalking it up to learning experience. Funny part is my father was like “check the distributor again” and I kept telling him rotor only goes on one way. Should have looked deeper. Oh well. I appreciate this forum and the people here who’ve helped.

Comment

It's always hard to double check your own work, you tend to assume. When I was writing papers in college one of the professors told me to re-read the papers from the bottom up, forces you to read the individual sentence. Same sort of thing trouble shooting, inspect one thing at a time as an individual part. Hell, I think we've all skimmed over something trouble shooting a problem! Glad you got it sorted!
                        2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Thanks, just pissed that I missed something so small. Again, learning experience.

Comment

Working...
                          X