Cometic mls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cometic mls

Brought a cometic mls and it won't fit on the m20 block. Doesn't have enough clearance for one of the the 2 12.50 mm dowel head locator pins. Looking at the gasket I can tell one hole is smaller. Anyone ever run across this before?

I've had them send a gasket with the bottom layer having an incorrect bore size with other layers being ok, sent it back and they sent a replacement. Can you not dremel it and deburr, clean thoroughly etc??

kinda weird this could happen as all m20 gaskets should be the same in this regard and on file.
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
      I've had them send a gasket with the bottom layer having an incorrect bore size with other layers being ok, sent it back and they sent a replacement. Can you not dremel it and deburr, clean thoroughly etc??

kinda weird this could happen as all m20 gaskets should be the same in this regard and on file.
      Hmm i can check if it's just one layer off. I was thinking about filling the split pin a little to reduce od

Do you know what the od of both holes on the gasket should be?
      Last edited by tiger_e30; 11-30-2020, 06:22 AM.

Comment

I make the dowels ar 12.50 and one gasket hole 13.75 and the other 12.40

Comment

Originally posted by tiger_e30 View Post
          I make the dowels ar 12.50 and one gasket hole 13.75 and the other 12.40
          for reference i will check a couple of mine that i have lying around and get back to you
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

for reference i will check a couple of mine that i have lying around and get back to you
            Much appreciated

Comment

all holes are between 12.4 to 12.5mm one end of gasket fits nicely the other is very tight could fit with some persuation i will just dremel it with a cylindercal stone if i still have issue with a new dowel. Same on two seperate gaskets oddly enough trying the tight hole on the other dowel doesnt fit either so the old dowel might be the issue

Comment

Weird that one of my holes is so oversized then. I tried filing the dowel split but the block won't compress it beyond 12.50

Comment

Originally posted by tiger_e30 View Post
                  Weird that one of my holes is so oversized then. I tried filing the dowel split but the block won't compress it beyond 12.50
                  dremel out the bore with a stone, just cover and protect the gasket so grit and metal doesnt get between layers etc

Comment

Thanks a ton for posting this thread when you did by the way - I would have taken a lot longer to figure out I missed my dowel pins during install lol.

I just ordered a replacement MLS from IE (and have dowels arriving separately). I will let you know if the dowel holes are the right size.

Comment

dremel out the bore with a stone, just cover and protect the gasket so grit and metal doesnt get between layers etc
                      Will do. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by JehTehsus View Post
                        Thanks a ton for posting this thread when you did by the way - I would have taken a lot longer to figure out I missed my dowel pins during install lol.

I just ordered a replacement MLS from IE (and have dowels arriving separately). I will let you know if the dowel holes are the right size.
                        Oh dang glad you caught that. Would have really sucked to do all that work then have the head move! I'm glad it helped you out

Comment

It's because they copied the VR gasket. The VR is the same way, just easier to get over the dowel when it's composite. They also copied the oval hole for the oil supply and head bolt, rather than having them separate like the Goetze/OEM gasket is.

Sorry, been busy at works and not singing in here much, but I haven't had any issues in the last 1.5 decades by opening the hole a little as Digger mentioned.
                          john@m20guru.com
                          Links:
                          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by JehTehsus View Post

Oh dang glad you caught that. Would have really sucked to do all that work then have the head move! I'm glad it helped you out

Comment

It's because they copied the VR gasket. The VR is the same way, just easier to get over the dowel when it's composite. They also copied the oval hole for the oil supply and head bolt, rather than having them separate like the Goetze/OEM gasket is.

Sorry, been busy at works and not singing in here much, but I haven't had any issues in the last 1.5 decades by opening the hole a little as Digger mentioned.
                              john@m20guru.com
                              Links:
                              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
                              X