Cometic mls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
    It's because they copied the VR gasket. The VR is the same way, just easier to get over the dowel when it's composite. They also copied the oval hole for the oil supply and head bolt, rather than having them separate like the Goetze/OEM gasket is.

Sorry, been busy at works and not singing in here much, but I haven't had any issues in the last 1.5 decades by opening the hole a little as Digger mentioned.
    Being busy these days is a blessing.

Man that's annoying first time with a mls and I thought for sure something was wrong. You'd think they could correct it with a minimum of effort.

Comment

Originally posted by tiger_e30 View Post

Being busy these days is a blessing.

Man that's annoying first time with a mls and I thought for sure something was wrong. You'd think they could correct it with a minimum of effort.
      Not really a minimum effort, I would gather they are using a die to stamp them from sheets. A die that stamps ~27"x8" would be rather expensive, and not easily modified. Unfortunately it happens a lot in the aftermarket/performance world - you get what you can and run with it.
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Not really a minimum effort, I would gather they are using a die to stamp them from sheets. A die that stamps ~27"x8" would be rather expensive, and not easily modified. Unfortunately it happens a lot in the aftermarket/performance world - you get what you can and run with it.
        Ah ok makes sense. i guess it would be easier to correct if they were stamping the hole to big

Comment

they readily produce different custom bore sizes for the m20 cant see how this would be different
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post

they readily produce different custom bore sizes for the m20 cant see how this would be different
            I don't know much about the process but I would think once you buy the dies your investment is done. I'd imagine they just had a couple different bore sizes made with everything else the same

Comment

Originally posted by tiger_e30 View Post

I don't know much about the process but I would think once you buy the dies your investment is done. I'd imagine they just had a couple different bore sizes made with everything else the same
              Correct. My machining mentor was a die maker from IBM and made dies to press the CRT screens right here in Boca Ratron FL in the 70's. Not that it matters, but if I were to build a dual stamp die punch mold that required different diameter bores, the lower clam shell dies would have removable inserts for the inner upper shears that would bolt/pin into the assembly just for the bores specifically. All the outer dimensions would be stable, specially if you were investing five figures into each die halves themselves. Not likely they will change a two decade design at this point.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Correct. My machining mentor was a die maker from IBM and made dies to press the CRT screens right here in Boca Ratron FL in the 70's. Not that it matters, but if I were to build a dual stamp die punch mold that required different diameter bores, the lower clam shell dies would have removable inserts for the inner upper shears that would bolt/pin into the assembly just for the bores specifically. All the outer dimensions would be stable, specially if you were investing five figures into each die halves themselves. Not likely they will change a two decade design at this point.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X