I need help quickly, while my car is briefly in the shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need help quickly, while my car is briefly in the shop

Hello my fellow elders, I need your accumulated wisdom, as soon as possible. I recently did a rejuvenation on my 89 325i. But one issue has not been seen to. The cast majority of the times I start my car up, it immediately starts. But it sporadically cranks for several seconds before starting. Sometimes I have to try starting it a second time before it actually starts. Have any of you dearly with this issue before, and if so, what was the remedy? Thanks so much! Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Its likely that it takes a while to build up fuel pressure, which is why it takes a while to crank or needs a second attempt. The cause is the check valve in the fuel line is slowly leaking, letting the pressure drop. If it's what I'm guessing, it's not something I would worry about.
    sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
      Its likely that it takes a while to build up fuel pressure, which is why it takes a while to crank or needs a second attempt. The cause is the check valve in the fuel line is slowly leaking, letting the pressure drop. If it's what I'm guessing, it's not something I would worry about.
      So maybe a fuel pressure regulator? Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Id consider vacuum leak unless your motor has been completely rebuilt and all rubber, gaskets, and hoses have been replaced. Also, I would perform the complete DME electrical tests in the manual to verify all your electrical sensors are operating within range.
        Owner - Bavarian Restoration
        BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
        www.BavRest.com
        My Feedback Thread
        Our Facebook!
        Follow our Instagram!

Comment

I've reached out to the rejuvenation team at Enthusiast Auto Group, I figured they've probably seen it all. And my baby is up to their standards BTW. But they narrowed it down to 3 potential problems, with 1 being the likely culprit. 1) Crank Position Sensor. 2) Fuel Pressure Regulator. 3) Engine Temperature Sensor. All are easy repairs. Thanks for your help guys! Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

is it on cold start, warm start, hot start or all?
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
              is it on cold start, warm start, hot start or all?
              All, and totally sporadic. It's most likely the Crank Position Sensor. It's actually the original factory sensor, it's probably gradually failing, so I'm replacing it. Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
              Last edited by fakeplstctrees; 12-10-2020, 02:56 PM.

Comment

fuel pressure regulator
                fuel pump
                blue coolant temp sensor

never seen a crank sensor do what you're describing; i'm not saying it isn't possible, but they (generally speaking, of course) either work or they don't. not a bad idea to replace it with a genuine unit from the dealer, though.
                '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by e30austin View Post
                  fuel pressure regulator fuel pump blue coolant temp sensor never seen a crank sensor do what you're describing; i'm not saying it isn't possible, but they (generally speaking, of course) either work or they don't. not a bad idea to replace it with a genuine unit from the dealer, though.
                  https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...osition-sensor Checkout symptom 1, it describes what I'm experiencing. And it's such a cheap part and easy install, it's definitely worth a shot. Thank you for the feedback, definitely appreciated! Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

fuel pressure regulator
                    fuel pump
                    blue coolant temp sensor

never seen a crank sensor do what you're describing; i'm not saying it isn't possible, but they (generally speaking, of course) either work or they don't. not a bad idea to replace it with a genuine unit from the dealer, though.
                    i'd add injectors to the list
                    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post

i'd add injectors to the list
                      likely one of the most overlooked items on old vehicle maintenance. yes, clogged/dirty injectors for sure.
                      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

likely one of the most overlooked items on old vehicle maintenance. yes, clogged/dirty injectors for sure.
                        The injectors spray a mist, worthy of Sigourney Weaver and her Gorilla's. Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X