No announcement yet.

Piston to deck height?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closing this one out, Ordered custom pistons from Steve at Top End. He really knows pistons. Went with 2618 alloy, 9.5:1 compression ratio so the tuner has some room left for advance, valve pockets with 0.080 clearance on 286/272 cam, 135mm Molnar rods (since we can), gapless top ring, skirt coating, anti-detonation and accumulator grooves.
    Last edited by dvallis; 01-19-2021, 01:27 PM. Reason: Typo
    "And then we broke the car. Again." Mark Donohue, "The Unfair Advantage"

1987 E30 3L Turbo Stroker Das Beast
    2002 E39 M5

Comment

Was that compression number calculated with the 84mm stroke, or 75mm?

Personally, if it were that close, would have just notched the pistons a little deeper. The crowns are very thick.

You can definitely tell those pistons are near zero deck in the pic. The sharp edge where the piston crown meets the side is difficult to measure accurately, but is what I use as a guide when building. On a stock m20, the corner of the piston is proud of the block.

Many of the engines built at work had less than 2mm intake clearance. The intake stroke has the piston following the valve, so retarding the cam a little will increase intake (and decrease exhaust) clearance(s). 4° retarded seems to be a magic number for the Schrick cams (if your block was shaved, the cam would have been naturally retarded almost a degree).

john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

9.5:1 compression is for an 84mm stroke, 135mm rods, 206.2 deck

I remember Steve saying they'll handle a bigger cam than 286/272 so there;s actually more than 0.080 valve clearance. Not sure how much. We'll clay it in any case.

Don't think I'll need to retard timing since we'll have adequate valve pockets. About that .... All I've read says retard lowers performance. And during dyno tune, we were gradually dialing in more advance to make power on the top end, then backing off a bit. What's your take on that?

2002 E39 M5

Comment

One of the clients saw 4whp increase with retarding a 288 to -4°.

That's quite a blanket statement to say retarding the cam lowers performance when you have no data to make that judgement. Moving the cam timing moves the power band more than it changes the peak power. Peak power is just an arbitrary number that everyone likes to look at. You know you are doing something when your engine makes the same peak power as your competitor, but you can consistently pull away from them. ;)
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:

Comment

Originally posted by dvallis View Post
            9.5:1 compression is for an 84mm stroke, 135mm rods, 206.2 deck

I remember Steve saying they'll handle a bigger cam than 286/272 so there;s actually more than 0.080 valve clearance. Not sure how much. We'll clay it in any case.

Don't think I'll need to retard timing since we'll have adequate valve pockets. About that .... All I've read says retard lowers performance. And during dyno tune, we were gradually dialing in more advance to make power on the top end, then backing off a bit. What's your take on that?
            When we talk about retarding we are talking about the cam timing on the adjustable cam gear. I've seen two (2) separate dynos with this exact cam a 2.8L and 3.1L and both wanted retarded from the "stock" position. It will depend on where it starts from so it depends. As the dowel pin cant be assumed to be the same unfortunately though ive never had a problem.

If you mean dialling more ignition timing advance on the dyno that's different.

ultimately its simple, you test cam position move it a bit and test again the engine will tell you what it wants. Do this before you spend alot time on the fuel and ignition timing
            Last edited by digger; 01-20-2021, 02:02 PM.
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

And during dyno tune, we were gradually dialing in more advance to make power on the top end, then backing off a bit. What's your take on that?
              Missed this sentence until Digger quoted you. That is EXACTLY how it should go. Reiterating above, the engine will tell you what it wants. The same thing happens when tuning, too. People often ask me questions like "what's the max spark advance for xxx build", but that is a loaded question. Albeit a couple of WHP, but two identical engines might find MBT with different timing tables.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:

Comment

Ahhhhhhhh. I see. We actually never messed with physical retard last build. Just used a timing light to verify 0 degrees and gave that to the tuner.

Sounds like we should

1 Start with a loose spark advance on the tune
                2 Do a run at 0 degrees on the dyno
                3 Retard 1 degree with the adjustable cam
                4.Another dyno run

Rinse and repeat until we see what the engine likes, THEN start adding advance.

And of course clay the hell out of this during build to establish the no fly retard zone

I like it!

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Ignition timing is independent of the cam timing. The actual ignition event happens when the ECU grounds the coil, but the rotor has a large area as to keep the cam timing independent of ignition - so, if you adjust the cam gear, the ignition timing remains static (unlike an older points type mechanical event, that would be directly related to cam position and RPM/vacuum).
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:

Comment

Ahhhhhhhh. I see. We actually never messed with physical retard last build. Just used a timing light to verify 0 degrees and gave that to the tuner.

Sounds like we should

1 Start with a loose spark advance on the tune
                    2 Do a run at 0 degrees on the dyno
                    3 Retard 1 degree with the adjustable cam
                    4.Another dyno run

Rinse and repeat until we see what the engine likes, THEN start adding advance.

And of course clay the hell out of this during build to establish the no fly retard zone

I like it!
                    run cam straight up and get the tune at WOT fairly close then move the cam like 2 degree advance and check the power and adjust AFR if needed and from that you will see does it want another two degrees advance or does it want to go back the opposite way in which case go back 4 degrees to 2 degrees retarded. probably wont need to adjust ignition timing to run the different cam positions what's best will be what's best. Once you've got cam timing done then you do proper tune.
                    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

Our Nuke adjustable cam gear finally has a purpose :-)

2002 E39 M5

Comment

i vaguely recall measuring a 284/272 cam and noting that when installed with stock cam that it was already advanced a large amount so retarding 4 degrees is probably still advanced strictly speaking. So when the other guys did their testing and found like 4 or 5 degrees retard as the optimum it may have been still advanced in a absolute sense

Comment

This merits a LOT more investigation on the reassembly. So you're saying the big cam probably has built in advance, even though timing marks will say TDC. What's the best way to measure that?

2002 E39 M5

Comment

three ways:
                            • The correct way is to measure the inlet open and close angles at 1mm lift with degree wheel and indicator. The middle between those angles is the inlet centre line which should be 110* ATDC iirc. You can do this with head alone for simplicity with respect to cam gear with a mini degree wheel of sorts or with head on block and full degree wheel on crank;
                            • Check lift inlet and exhaust at TDC and compare to spec (can be done with head by itself);
                            • Not bother and just move it until engine makes best power or torque or whatever your preference. You won’t know what the position is you’ll just know relative to originally installed;

Comment

I'm in the process of building a 2.7i m20 and have everything at the machine shop. This is the 81mm crank, 130mm rods, b25 pistons, 885 head.

I got a call from the shop that he's calculating 9.5:1CR without touching the block, which doesn't seem right to me. I've attached a calculation for a stock m20b25 that gets to 8.75:CR, which is close enough to stock 8.8. Changing to my numbers and decking the block, I get 9.46:1CR, which is close enough to the expected 9.5:1CR.

Based on my math, the current setup will have the piston 1.5mm (0.059in) in the hole, and the m20b25 has the piston 0.5mm (0.020in) proud of the hole.
                              Crank (81/2=40.5mm) + Rod (130mm) + Piston (34.2mm) = 204.7mm, Deck Height = 206.2mm, Deck - Stack = -1.5mm, Piston to Head = 1.5mm + HG Thickness (1.75mm) = 3.25mm, Target Clearance is 1.24mm (0.049in), Amount to deck the block = 3.25mm - 1.24mm = 2.01mm

I know from ForcedFirebird's dyno thread that I should deck the block by about 2.01mm (0.079in) to get 0.049in (1.24mm) of piston to head clearance, so this adds up.

Can one of you give me a sanity check that the math is correct and I'm not going to end up with some crazy 11:1CR engine?
                              My Engine Specs
                              mm in
                              Bore 84.46 3.325
                              Stroke 81.03 3.190
                              Rod Length 130.00 5.118
                              HG Bore 84.84 3.340
                              HG Thickness 1.75 0.069
                              Assumed Crushed HG Thickness 1.52 0.060
                              Center of Main to Deck 206.20 8.118
                              Top Ring Land (Down from deck)) 6.35 0.250
                              Piston Dish (assuming domed) cc -1.400
                              Head Volume cc 41.500
                              Height Buildup
                              m20b25 m20b27 2.7i
                              crank mm 37.5 40.5 40.5
                              rod mm 135 130 130
                              piston mm 34.2 35.7 34.2
                              total mm 206.7 206.2 204.7
                              Deck mm 206.2 206.2 206.2
                              Piston Out mm 0.5 0 -1.5
                              Head gasket mm 1.75 1.75 1.75
                              Clearance mm 1.25 1.75 3.25
                              Clearance in 0.049 0.069 0.128
                              Target Clearance in 0.049 0.049 0.049
                              Target Clearance mm 1.24 1.24 1.24
                              Amount to Deck Block in 0.000 -0.020 -0.079
                              Amount to Deck Block mm -0.01 -0.51 -2.01
                              ​ ​

Attached Files
                              sigpic
                              1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                              1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                              1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

the number seem reasonable.

you dont get 9.5 with the pistons massively down the hole.
                                :
                                if you replicate the stock b25 piston to deck with 2.7 then the increase is proportional to stroke increase so 8.8:1 * 81mm /75mm = 9.5:1

Comment

Working...
                                X