This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The m30 with Getrag 240 thread

So I am one of the lucky guys who has an m10 car that is getting the m30 treatment. My initial plans are to use the 240 that came with the car since the bell housing will line up. However, the information I have read has been really spotty. Hence the reason for this thread.

If folks can post up their 240 experiences in a format like the below, it would give a lot of people some ideas.

Coupe or Sedan:
    M30 Variant:
    Transmission: 240
    Engine Position:
    Drive Shaft:
    Clutch:
    Length of Life:

Oh, and in before "Just get a 260/265 already."
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
    Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
    Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

I used it for about a year till reverse went out... Yea reverse! Was solid tho ran a spec stage 3 clutch. Then upgraded to the bigger 5 speed from e28 and still used the same clutch, g240 did work and worked well. 92 m30e32735i, g240, spec stage 3, stock shaft, shorten shifter rod and shifter plate, relocate center bearing mount custom make mount
    84' 318i m30b35 swapped!

Comment

So Im also currently doing this swap, trying to get all the parts together...
      and im trying to do it on the cheap, then this next fall i will restore it, but right now i need the car to just run.. That being said.. it is hard to find a cheap working 260/265 and i was also wondering about just using my m10 tranny.

what needs to be known when trying to do this swap with that tranny.

my engine came out of a 93 e34 535i it only has 87k miles.

Comment

As far as I know, the basic bits are this:
        • 240 bell housing will bolt up to the m30 because of the m10 bolt pattern
        • flywheel bolts up (have no idea if it is single mass or dual mass
        • clutch bolts up (some say it will die very quickly, but lots of things I read say that they were running boost, NOS or bought a Spec Stage 3 anyway)
        • I would assume the TOB would come over from the m10
        • reposition transmission cross member?
        • shorten shifter assembly?
        • shorten drive shaft?

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by SketchyRex View Post
          That being said.. it is hard to find a cheap working 260/265 and i was also wondering about just using my m10 tranny.
          I got one for ya perhaps. Has a broken tab (aluminum) off the back. If you know a good welder.

Comment

M10 318i 1984/85 flywheel spec stage 3
            clutch works great
            84' 318i m30b35 swapped!

Comment

My car:
              M30B35 engine with M30B35 starter
              M10 318i '85 Getrag 240
              M10 flywheel
              M10 spigot bearing
              M10 Australian Clutch Service HD organic clutch kit (basically a stage 1 - you don't need to go to 'stage 3' if the clutch is decent quality)
              e30 320i G240 propshaft
              e21 G242 shifter plate & linkage
              Redline Mt90 oil

Length of life - so far 18 months with no signs of deterioration or ill effects. I drive it daily, although it's not like I'm doing skids every day or anything.

Drive with some mechanical sympathy and it will all work out fine.

As for the why not G260 / G265 argument, I can buy 7 or 8 G240s down here for the price of one e34 G260/6. That said, I did manage to pick up a e28 G260 / flywheel etc. for if the gearbox breaks in the future (at this rate, it could be years).
              My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by wannaBMthree View Post
                I got one for ya perhaps. Has a broken tab (aluminum) off the back. If you know a good welder.

Comment

I know you are all set on that thing. I got my 260/6 trans at a junkyard on half off day for 75 dollars... Why even bother putting in the 240?
                  Turbo m30 drift car build.
                  500whp or bust.
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=256525

Comment

Originally posted by stinkydriverx View Post
                    I know you are all set on that thing. I got my 260/6 trans at a junkyard on half off day for 75 dollars... Why even bother putting in the 240?
                    In my many trips to the junkyard, I have never seen a 260 or 265 from an m30 car.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Absolutely - depends on where you live.

In 18 years of scouring junk yards, I have only ever seen 2 M30 260/5 or 260/6 gearboxes.

I managed to score one of them.

Over that period, I've seen hundreds of manual M10 gear boxes.
                      My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
                        Absolutely - depends on where you live.

In 18 years of scouring junk yards, I have only ever seen 2 M30 260/5 or 260/6 gearboxes.

I managed to score one of them.

Over that period, I've seen hundreds of manual M10 gear boxes.
                        Thing is, the guy who said that it was easy to find one lives about 25 miles from me. But in North County San Diego, where I live, there is only one junk yard close to me. Everything else is down near the border or way in the middle of Orange County.

I hate that Ecology (the local yard near me) doesn't keep an inventory list. They would make so much more money to have that crap posted on the web. I hate having to drive down to the border to LOOK for parts. Its an hour trip to come up empty handed.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
                          Thing is, the guy who said that it was easy to find one lives about 25 miles from me. But in North County San Diego, where I live, there is only one junk yard close to me. Everything else is down near the border or way in the middle of Orange County.

I hate that Ecology (the local yard near me) doesn't keep an inventory list. They would make so much more money to have that crap posted on the web. I hate having to drive down to the border to LOOK for parts. Its an hour trip to come up empty handed.
                          When I am serious about finding a part for cheap I really open up my horizon, I'm willing to travel 2+ hours for parts like engines and transmissions.

Oceanside, after being down there, doesn't seem very prime at all, I played paintball nationally, and we had a tournament in camp pendelton, on the beach, fresh turf.. it was awesome. There was a small food joint down there called "angelo's" has some decent grub.

Anywho, try going east, south, and craigslist all day

EDIT:
                          TONS of b34 stuff, fresh head, and full motor.. also a V8 swap in there right now for 550.

Comment

Originally posted by the imitator View Post
                            When I am serious about finding a part for cheap I really open up my horizon, I'm willing to travel 2+ hours for parts like engines and transmissions.

Oceanside, after being down there, doesn't seem very prime at all, I played paintball nationally, and we had a tournament in camp pendelton, on the beach, fresh turf.. it was awesome. There was a small food joint down there called "angelo's" has some decent grub.

Anywho, try going east, south, and craigslist all day
                            I hear you. Angelo's is a North County staple. Plus, open 24 hours. :)

Chulajuana sucks so I will go north if necessary.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

should overnight me a burrito in a small lunch box with ice packs in there.

Comment

Working...
                              X