m30b35 vs m54b30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m30b35 vs m54b30

Has anyone had the chance to actually experience the difference between an e30 with an m30b35 and a m54b30.

The tq comes on sooner in the m54 but how does the extra displacement feel in m30?
    Last edited by mikebloco; 08-23-2015, 02:38 PM.

No M54 experience, but I can tell you that the M30's TQ in an e30 starts at idle and doesn't really stop. It's no s52 with a track-oriented high RPM powerband, but she's definitely no slouch. It's a great period-correct engine for DD miles, spirited driving, and highway sprints.

My car held even and pulled away from what sounded like a bolt-on modified LS-powered Suburban from a 60~70mph roll. I understand a Suburban is like 2 e30's in weight, but the v8 couldn't catch me. Made me feel good since I'm not happy with the ignition map yet.
    Last edited by EatsHondas; 08-24-2015, 10:32 AM.
    1989 325i Lachssilber Sedan
    5-Speed Swapped
    M30B35 Swapped
    MegaSquirt MS3X

1987 325i Lachssilber Sedan
    260k OEM Automatic Daily Baby

Comment

Ask good & tight how is m30 is lol.

Comment

I've been leaning towards the m30 swap because it's easy, cheap, and reliable. Right now my car is my daily but I want to retire her next summer and just take her out when i feel like being stupid/alive. I hate having my e30 as my work car.

Comment

m54 can make more power and torque than the M30.. all while being significantly lighter and more efficient.

extra displacement can't make up for 25 years of engine development..
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

fk m54s.. I had an e46. been there. done that.
            = Heidi 1988 325 -> 335i. 7200rpm built M30

Comment

It's either m30 or save 3k for a 1j swap lol. There's a guy locally with a 92 535i with 141,000 on it and the auto trani took a shit. He wants 800 for the car. That would be perfect because I could get everything I need for the swap and then sell the body.

Comment

Sounds like you have a plan! With a cheap donor and the right mounts it's a straightforward swap.
                My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

So from a lot of what I've read is that most people seam to go with g240 trani. Why not the 260?

Comment

The G240 is weak. It was designed for the 4 bangers (318's). The M30 TQ will kill that transmission quickly if you slam gears and pop clutches. The G260/6 is much beefier and was mated to the B35 from the factory. I got mine out of a 5-speed e34 535i.
                    Last edited by EatsHondas; 08-25-2015, 11:40 PM.
                    1989 325i Lachssilber Sedan
                    5-Speed Swapped
                    M30B35 Swapped
                    MegaSquirt MS3X

1987 325i Lachssilber Sedan
                    260k OEM Automatic Daily Baby

Comment

Either works - get a G260 if you can.

The G240 can take the torque of a stock M30B35 though in a street car. If you're going to track it (and slam gears and pop clutches!) then a 260 would be the go.

Some us do drive with a bit of mechanical sympathy though :)
                      My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Has anyone bought the m30 head from bimmerheads. What was it like? 2K isn't bad for a brand new pnp head with new everything.

Comment

No one?

Comment

I had a high compression "3.6" m30 and it was amazing for a street car. Tons of torque, and pulled really hard up to 6k or so. I dont really mess around on the street too much but right before I sold it I pulled pretty hard on a 6.0L GTO on the hwy. After the m30, I had an s54 in the car, which dyno'd over 300whp and the m30 still felt stronger/was more fun to drive on the street
                            - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

m30 has good potential but out of the box alot is left on the table, a stroker m30 with good comrpession better cam and tune would be the best but its going to cost alot and never going to make good hp numbers compared to the 24V stuff with the same amount of attention, but this suits a street engine perfectly
                              Last edited by digger; 09-08-2015, 07:50 PM.
                              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
                              X