Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LowR3V'in
    replied
    just get the biggest longest muffler you can fit back there.

Leave a comment:

• lukeADE335i
    replied
    Hate to say it, but my 2.5 inch also drones with a decent sized hot dog resonator and rear muffler. I'm going to try an e46 328i rear muffler I have in the shed at some point.

I think to avoid drone a twin 2 inch system is probably the best option (but obviously much more expensive).

Leave a comment:

• Anthony B
    replied
    How did you go on launch? I struggle to get my car to bite traction even with a 3.15 I still manage too cook 225/50/16 semi slicks

3” single with a hotdog resonator & resonable sized rear my e30 is LOUD & drones at freeway speed, whilst the rebuilding is taking place I’m redoing the exhaust with with a single 2.5”, centre resonator, & custom headers

Leave a comment:

• st.petebiodiesel
    replied
    Made it to the track the other night and had a great time. I probably made 20 passes, many performed back to back.
    Sadly my car is still pretty slow, 9.50 in the 1/8th isn't exactly fast. It converts to a 14.8 in the 1/4.
    Here is my best time.

Here is a video my friend took, almost beat a poorly driven mustang.

I'm going to re do my exhaust this week. I installed a Moroso spiral flow muffler when I first built the exhaust and I've read they don't flow great.

I'm gonna try just replacing it with a straight pipe and just rely on the rear muffler. However if it is too loud I'll install a resonator that looks like it will flow a little better.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• st.petebiodiesel
    replied
    Just for fun I decided to take the car to my local 1/8th mile drag strip. It did not go well.
    I pulled out of the water box, was in the middle of doing a burnout, and the engine died mid burnout. Never even got to stage.
    I got a push back to the pits and attempted to diagnose the problem with minimal tools. Eventually I gave up and proceeded to spectate and kick back a couple of beers.

I ended up towing my car home hours later.

Now in the comfort of my garage I could diagnose why the engine died.
    I found my wideband had came un plugged. Apparently I didn't leave enough slack in the harness and when I did my burnout it must of pulled the connectors apart. My MS tune has a 15% EGO correction. It should still run without a wideband.
    Next I checked the timing. I rotated the crank hub to TDC with alternator hub nut. I noticed while I was turning the engine over that the crank wheel was turning but not the crankshaft. EUREKA!
    Apparently I snapped my woodruff key for my crank hub and the ignition system lost timing with the engine.
    After further investigation it was discovered I didn't even have the crankshaft nut. It had loosened at some point and just fell off.
    Fortunately no damage had occurred on the hub or the crank.

I got a new key and a used nut from my spare stock.

The torque on the crank nut is something like 300ftlbs. I didn't have a tool to apply that much torque. So I tightened it till the emergency brake could no longer hold the car and tack welded the nut to the crankshaft. That should prevent this from happening ever again.
    I'm going back to the drag strip tomorrow. I'll make another post with hopefully better results.

Leave a comment:

• LJ851
    replied
    Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
    does it die at 6? can't make it out.
    you guys notice that m30s die around the same rpm nomatter what cams they have?
    someone needs to make a legit intake for these things.

RHD in australia have ITBs for M30 engines now.

Leave a comment:

• LowR3V'in
    replied
    does it die at 6? can't make it out.
    you guys notice that m30s die around the same rpm nomatter what cams they have?
    someone needs to make a legit intake for these things.

Leave a comment:

• Bearmw
    replied
    Dyno graph.
    IMG_20170922_135646442_HDR.jpg
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• LowR3V'in
    replied
    nope, always turboed.
    felt power comes on sooner
    and some more mid range, but top end is stockish.
    not what i was looking for but still made it faster i guess.

i have a schriek 28x somewhere but it has pitting on a lobe. :X

Leave a comment:

• st.petebiodiesel
    replied
    Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
    http://www.catcams.com/products/cams...nguage=english

i don't have any cam knowledge what so ever keep that in mind
    just got it because it was "turbo cam" and it didn't require springs, which it absolutely did. stock springs would float at 5.5k

looking back i should of got the big n/a cam.
    You ran this cam on a N/A engine? The exhaust duration is not much more than a stock B35 cam and the lift is also 1.5mm less. I would expect the performance to drop off at higher RPMs due to the small exhaust cam.
    Turbo engines have much higher cylinder pressures so getting the exhaust out fast isn't a problem. Running a larger intake cam and a smaller exhaust cam with little to no overlap helps build boost.

Leave a comment:

• LowR3V'in
    replied
    hey bearmw can u post a dyno pls?

Leave a comment:

• Bearmw
    replied
    I have 10.5:1 compression pistons also designed by Paul Burke. I was told by a dyno operator that my motor was knock limited with 93 octane on an 80 degree day.

Leave a comment:

• AWDBOB
    replied
    Here's the IE Billet "N21" card:

M30 284-280 Billet Cam Card by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• st.petebiodiesel
    replied
    Originally posted by Bearmw View Post
    FWIW I have an "N21+2" cam (and pistons to match) and it has 108 lobe separation. It idles pretty well and I don't smell any unburned fuel.
    What compression ratio are your pistons? I still run stock compression pistons 9.0:1. That must explain why I can dial in an excessive amounts of ignition advance and not ping/knock. At WOT above 3000 rpm I run 38 to 42 degrees.
    The cam must also reduce my dynamic compression ratio quite a bit as well.

Leave a comment:

• Bearmw
    replied
    FWIW I have an "N21+2" cam (and pistons to match) and it has 108 lobe separation. It idles pretty well and I don't smell any unburned fuel.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X