My 333i Swap: The beginning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pldlnr View Post
    Nice work on the swap. My brother and I are planning a b35 into a euro 323i E21.

Have you checked your fuel pressure at the rail? Make sure you have pressure within spec. I think you may be on to something with the coolant temp sensors. There are several different sensors. Thermo time switch, ECU coolant temp sensor, temp sending unit, etc. Are your sure that all of these are hooked up properly and also wired back to the harness properly?

Good work as a whole. I am enjoying your thread. Take it easy.
    I checked the fuel pressure today, and I'm getting plenty so I think the pump is fine. As far as the temp sensors, I tried switching the one for the ecu (which seems to be the problem one) out with the one from my m20, and it does the same thing: Stalls almost immediately when plugged in, and if unplugged runs for 10-15 seconds and then stalls.

thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying the thread, it's a lot better to have feedback than to be just doing it on my own.

Originally posted by alpinaclone View Post
    Nice progress. It will all be worth the effort when you drive the car and find out what torque feels like.

About the driveability (or lack there of), have you checked for vacuum leaks? Have you tried plugging that one hose that has the blue thingy on it that is in one of your pics? Aside from any wiring issues, that would be my best interwebz mechanic diagnosis.
    I'm pretty sure I don't have any vacuum leaks, all the hoses are hooked up, and the blue one is blocked off since I have nowhere to hook it up.

It has to be wiring, but I have no idea where I went wrong!!
    Originally posted by LJ851
    I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

alright I think I found the problem. It has to do with the afm. When I press the bellows in manually, with the car started, it revs fine. They seem to be pretty loose so I wouldn't say they are getting stuck, it seems like something is not telling it to open up. The afm runs directly to a relay, which I have a large metal relay on, looks about twice as long as a normal relay (like horizontally) and says nothing on it. I think the relay might be bad (maybe?) so I am trying to jumper it out but cant find any info.

what relay is it? The afm seems to be the only thing that runs into it.

I don't get it, this relay isn't even on the wiring diagram! It shouldn't even exist!
      Last edited by chadthestampede; 09-14-2008, 03:01 PM.
      I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

Combi relay from an L-Jetronic car?? Take a picture, that sounds a lot like it...

In that case, you might want to look for another harness, perhaps from a 5 or 6 series. If you want to wait a couple of weeks I'll have an early Motronic harness from my '83 635CSi.
        '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

You are using motronic 1.0 basic. 1.1 is actually the next generation.

Comment

Originally posted by pldlnr View Post
            You are using motronic 1.0 basic. 1.1 is actually the next generation.

ahh. Nothing like downgrading motronic by .3

Probably why it has so many issues.

Anyway I haven't had a chance to work on it, but I'm not quite sure where to go from here, I think I'm going to just go over the wiring and see if I can find anything.

If worst comes to worst I have access to some b35 parts, so if I really can't get it I might be upgrading my engine with the b35 pieces and motronic 1.3.

that would suck tho to have to give up my original 333i swap so I'm hoping I can find something.

Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by chadthestampede View Post
              ahh. Nothing like downgrading motronic by .3

Probably why it has so many issues.

Anyway I haven't had a chance to work on it, but I'm not quite sure where to go from here, I think I'm going to just go over the wiring and see if I can find anything.

If worst comes to worst I have access to some b35 parts, so if I really can't get it I might be upgrading my engine with the b35 pieces and motronic 1.3.

that would suck tho to have to give up my original 333i swap so I'm hoping I can find something.
              I have a b35 parts motor coming in next week, in case you need anything.
              Joe Funk -- Portland Oregon
              That Guy.
              03 X5. 3 liter obviously.

Comment

out of curiosity, what would I have to replace?

I'm assuming at least intake mani, afm, cylinder head?

Feedback

Comment

AFM, ECU, possibly the TPS, Oxygen sensor, and you'd have to get the front crank pulley to go with the sensor for the Motronic 1.3 electronics since they don't use the reference sensors in the bellhousing. You might also have to get a new engine temp sensor. Your intake manifold, head, etc can all stay put.

Really it's a great upgrade, though the ECU might not be optimized for an 8:1 compression engine... It should still run as well or better as the Motronic stuff that came with the B32.

Edit: Just remembered that I have seen a few people on myE28 convert to the B35 electronics on 8:1 B34s and they say that everything improves: idle, cold start, hot start, throttle response, and emissions.

Comment

The Motronic 1.3 will run a E23 engine very nicely.
                    in a e30 a 325i loom is easy and the most ideal to use, just extend the afm and tps wiring and your sorted.
                    Gunni
                    @ Prodrive / Aston Martin Racing

Comment

technically couldn't i use all the stuff from my m20? I mean it was a 91 325i so I definitely can use the harness, but could I not also use the oxygen sensor, crank sensor, maybe even the ecu? Jared Squires claims you can use a 325i ecu if you are in a bind. What about the spark plug wires and such? and the idle control valve too?

I might have to change the tps, since both my throttle bodies have the 0280120302 one and I think the 1.3 one is different. Then again, couldn't I use my m20 one?

the crank position sensor sure as hell looks the same, and from a quick look at google I think it IS the same, so the only problem would be finding a way to mount it, since the mount for the cps on there now (there is a crank sensor on the engine, but it merely runs into the diagnostic port) is the wrong size for the other cps.

So technically all I would need would be an afm and possibly an ecu?

EDIT: and A crank pulley i guess. i notice the 1.3 ones have teeth on them that mine doesn't have.
                      Last edited by chadthestampede; 09-21-2008, 12:11 PM.

Feedback

Comment

alright, in case anyone was wondering, the project has been put on hold for a few days while I wait for parts from Funkmasta and in the meantime I've been changing the headgasket on my girlfriends grand am. It's a huge PITA but I'd rather do it than have her pay $700 to get one put on.

Anyway more updates soon...

Feedback

Comment

You better get a blumpkin for doing the HG on a Grand Am... I've done them on a Grand Prix and it was horrible!

Comment

Originally posted by euroshark View Post
                            You better get a blumpkin for doing the HG on a Grand Am...
                            I'm sorry, did you just say, "Blumpkin":roll:

Thats just old fashioned!! j/k.
                            ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

Originally posted by euroshark View Post
                              You better get a blumpkin for doing the HG on a Grand Am... I've done them on a Grand Prix and it was horrible!
                              blumpkin? i always thought the term was lumpkin...

anyway, unfortunately i got neither. It was, as matter of fact, an enormous pain in the ass, and took me almost 20 hours to do. The way they stack shit on top of the engines in those cars, it's like you have to take everything off to get to anything.

I should be getting the parts from joe soon, so hopefully the swap will resume this weekend or next.

Feedback

Comment

A blumpkin is when you get a blowjob while you are on the crapper. There are few acts that could possibly be more romantic.

The screeching seagull might come close.

:pimp:

Comment

Working...
                                X