Can't find Mess under intake manifold post

vids and stuff here

Comment

Originally posted by 82eye View Post
      Thanks!

http://www.arghon.com/

Comment

Two questions..

1. Is there a better hose option for the water pipe to head (green in below pic) than 5/16" bulk hose with a smaller hose shoved in the end to fit the head?
        2. Any reason why I shouldn't replace both water temp sensors while I am doing this project? They are the same, yes? I am inclined to just order 2 sensors and move on

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by GarageBound View Post
          Two questions..

1. Is there a better hose option for the water pipe to head (green in below pic) than 5/16" bulk hose with a smaller hose shoved in the end to fit the head?
          2. Any reason why I shouldn't replace both water temp sensors while I am doing this project? They are the same, yes? I am inclined to just order 2 sensors and move on
          Go to your local parts store with a close template and the end sizes you need, convince them to look at their wall of hoses for a close molded option, post the result here. You need to look again at the sensors in question, they are not the same, and unless they test as bad I don't see why you would replace them.

Comment

roguetoaster - visited a couple of local parts stores and resulted in finding a possibly great solution.
            A slightly twisted, pre-bent Continental hose (#B71231 63036 s) when fitted with a small slice of original sized (diameter) insert fits and looks perfect.(note left clamp not yet tightened)
            The only concern is, can this other hose sleeve insert approach as demo'd in the mess video, hold pressure for another 100K?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3333.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	10060814 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3332.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	10060815

Comment

So you put a hose within a hose?

Maybe some RTV between the two might be in order, but I don't know how effective it will be either way.

Comment

Clever idea, but it seems risky. Personally it is not worth the risk of a leak, either a small one which requires pulling the intake again, or a major one that leads to overheating.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

So who else has completed this bi-pass and how did you solve this connection?

And for those who have not reduced the clutter under the intake, why not?

BTW my next approach is: (from water pipe to head)
                  5/8" elbow (pre-bent ~90 degrees) >> plastic heater hose reducer (5/8"-1/2") >> 1/2" elbow onto head port.

Comment

My solution was to cut up the hoses that originally connected the head / TB heater / water pipe, joining them in the middle with a piece of the metal "U" that was under the TB and some hose camps. The hoses aren't all that expensive (or at least they used to be cheap, not sure about now) so I cut up some new ones when I was changing out all of the other hoses.

To be honest, I am not even sure that it matters if that little port in the head is connected to the water pipe. Such a small amount of coolant flows that way that head cooling is probably not going to be impacted if you just capped the openings somehow.

Comment

After more research, I found this thread that calls out the approach to use a BMW pre-bent hose for a E36 M42. https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...oolant-leaking

I decided to proceed with my 5/8" elbow (pre-bent ~90 degrees) >> plastic heater hose reducer (5/8"-1/2") >> 1/2" elbow onto head port. I am confident that it will hold as just replacing the stock mess. Moving forward!

Attached Files

Comment

Looks fine to me.

Comment

Nice find! That is more or less what my solution looks like, but yours is a bit cleaner since the hoses you have are pre-bent to a sharper corner. Good stuff!

Comment

Looks great! We went with OE hose routing, but will see how long it all lasts.. if it fails we will go with the hose reduction plan.

Jason

1991 BMW 318is - AlpineWeiss II
                            1991 BMW 318is - DiamondSchwartz
                            1973 BMW 2002 Tii - Baikal
                            2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 sport - Black

Comment

Working...
                            X