Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you hear the pump prime?

Comment

man, fuck this. I spent an hour walking to the local auto store, bought a fuel filter, spent a while installing it, and it started up. it would not hold an idle, kept fucking dying. Then I started it, and got it 1/4 mile from my house, going to the nearby gas station to fill it up. Shit dies again. Had to push it home, being honked at by people, causing traffic, and ran over my toes.

And Danny, I cannot really hear the pump over the sound of the engine, schreeching, and the exhaust. Are you referring to the typical buzzing sound?

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
      1983 Peugeot 505 STI
      1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
      2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

check if you are getting spark and fuel, if not then it's the main relay. When that goes bad it shuts off both fuel and spark. If you said that you have power going to the pump, but no power coming back that means the pump is fried. Time for a new one.
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by Wh33lhop
        VANOS: sometimes you just need to go full retard.

Comment

the car ran for a 5 minutes. then it died, and wouldn't come back. And all that time, it was running TERRIBLY, it sounded like a fucking Harley.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
          1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

No, when you turn the key to the on position, does the pump prime the fuel lines?

Can you hear the pump kick on?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
              No, when you turn the key to the on position, does the pump prime the fuel lines?

Can you hear the pump kick on?
              stock BMWs only turn on the FP when the ECU sees a crank signal, they don't prime it. the FPR is supposed to hold rail pressure constantly.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Really? I could always hear my stock pump kick on when I turned the key to the on position and even more so when I had my Walbro 255.

Comment

depression bump :( Still no start. check my lines, amongst other things, and still no go.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                  1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Have you checked fuel pressure? It still doesn't seem like you've ruled out a simple bad pump... It turns on when you jump the relay, or not?

325iX Turdbo Rally/Hillclimb/Beater

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                      Really? I could always hear my stock pump kick on when I turned the key to the on position and even more so when I had my Walbro 255.
                      Mine "primes" quite loudly as well Danny. I think m42 cars do this but m20 ones do not. My m20 cars pump can not be heard (or felt because they run quiet compared to m42 ones) until cranking. I just replaced an m20 one that was faulty so I am sure on this.

As for the OP... check your pump. If your car worked when the guy hit the tank, you pumps little plastic "filter" thing on the pickup could have fallen off and gunk got into the pump causing it to go bad. Just happened to my convertible's pump. Super easy to pull these pumps, swapped mine out in 15 minutes.
                      "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                      -----------------------------------------
                      91 318is Turbo Sold
                      87 325 Daily driver Sold
                      06 4.8is X5
                      06 Mtec X3
                      05 4.4i X5 Sold
                      92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
                      90 325i Sold
                      97 328is Sold
                      01 323ci Sold
                      92 325i Sold
                      83 528e Totaled
                      98 328i Sold
                      93 325i Sold

Comment

Check your auxiliary belts and alternator ect.

Might be the source of the screeching and the smell. Might have seized something
                        Originally posted by kendogg
                        Don't know, but the E90 wasn't designed from the ground-up intending to be a racecar like the E30 was.
                        OG RACECAR

Comment

If it idles like crap check to see if you have a vacuum leak under the throttle body. Those hoses always go bad.
                          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by Wh33lhop
                          VANOS: sometimes you just need to go full retard.

Comment

The screeching noise is your fuel pump after it ingested a masss of glop from the bottom of the tank. Replace it. The good news is that the stock trunk tool kit has everything you need to change it.
                            2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                            2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                            1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                            1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                            - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                            1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                            1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                            Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

screeching noise is from the bay for sure. It comes whenever I rev it.
                              Cliffs: I bought an Alternator belt, A/C belt, and a P.s. belt. Gonna tackle it when I get home. screeching came before the car went bad, for the past two months or so.
                              ....btw, the car failed SMOG a week or two ago, and the tester mentioned a loose vacum hose or something of the sorts. I'm growing restless now, and really wanna fly home to fix it!

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                              1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

check to see if youre getting

fuel

spark

then go from there. should be easy enough, do that first. check your cap and rotor? that could have been that sound as the rotor spun around bouncing back and forth inside.... i dunno...
                                1991 325iC - Mauritsblau sumthin metallic blue. DEAD
                                1992 525i - Silber sumthin sumthin metallic- Rolling again, needs suspension/wheels/brakes/paint.... Fuck you A4S310R; BEAT YOU.
                                1989 325i - Cirrusblau Metallic sumthin sumthin-project - trying to clean up the interior(done), then the body, then a 5spd, then suspension, then..... - [Stolen :| ]
                                1991 325iC - Calypsorot Metallic
                                1994 540i - Granitsilber

Originally posted by scabzzzz
                                I've had blunts cock in my mouth, but I'm not gay.

Comment

Working...
                                X