Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

coolant where it shouldnt be possible heating issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coolant where it shouldnt be possible heating issue?

hey guys please help

when if first got the car it didnt overheat, i drove it 45 mins away when i purchased the car. maybe a month later my car starts to overheat. typically it would overheat between 1/2 and 3/4 but usually just goes away while im highway driving. then a time came where every stoplight i came to the car would dangerously overheat. i do whats right, pull over and let it cool down.

i figure my water pump went. i did the water pump thermostat all new belts and the coolant flush as well. i believe i did it correctly. however it inside the car it still blows cold air and it overheats when i rev at the least 3.5k

i know my thermostat is working because both hose are same in temp. i know i installed the pump correctly (doesnt take a rocket scientist.)

i've come to the conclusion that i have a leak somewhere and also my aux fan doesnt kick in (note i did not take the car drive. i just sat in drive way.)

found leak here

sorry for the funny looking pic. i had used my camera but couldnt find the usb and so had to take a picture with my phone of a picture :]

any idea where the coolant could be coming from?

Help please :(

Comment

you need to bleed the system. water pumps cant pump air. theres a bleed screw on your coolant expansion tank for that.
      2nd. that leak there is most likely the oring that fits over the plastic pipe which seats into the block.

you can fix it sometimes with some high temp rtv. a light film around the o ring will suffice. Just let it completely dry before you start it up.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
      Ig:ryno_pzk
      I like the tuna here.
      Originally posted by lambo
      Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

thanks buttchug you are very helpful in the m42 world :]

"2nd. that leak there is most likely the oring that fits over the plastic pipe which seats into the block."

exactly where is this located.

Comment

The area here in red shows the piping that fits into the block. Check all your hoses down there while your at it. If you know anything about the "mess under the intake" it might be a good idea to get rid of the throttle body heating plate and all the random hoses not needed.

I like the tuna here.

Comment

Originally posted by lookitsranday View Post
            thanks buttchug you are very helpful in the m42 world :]

"2nd. that leak there is most likely the oring that fits over the plastic pipe which seats into the block."

exactly where is this located.
            Coolant Pipe part# 11531714738
            O-Ring part# 11531709157

It's the black pipe under the hose connected to the block. Since you have to remove the intake to get to this pipe, you should take care of the rats nest while your at it. See this thread... http://www.m42club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2742 over on M42 club for reference.
            Attached Files

Comment

+1 for fixing the mess under the intake, and replacing that plastic pipe...be sure to get one from the dealer as the "uro" brand most sell is complete junk and shitty casting so it never really seals.
              1991 318is ---230K - DD
              1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
              so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

Thanks guys I appreciate it. Guess I'm going to need to do more work. Hopefully its not too hard to handle. Yeah the mess under then intake looks thanks again guys. Ill lewt u guys know how thing goes

Comment

Alright so buttchug u are correct it is leaking for that area, I warmed up my car (heater now gets warm not incredibly hot though) so I'm sure I got rid of the air bubble. I think what's causing the overheat is the leak? Is that even possible? Or am I still experiencing a bubble in my system as to why it still overheats? Sorry for the noobish questions.

Also is there a write up step by step for the "mess under the intake"? If so can someone lead me in the right direction on which hose to remove etc... Any help is appreciated. Let's get this 318 back on the road!

Comment

does the car still overheat?

I like the tuna here.

Comment

Yes but not as fast as it used too. The heater blows warm air before it blew cold air. And I do want to remove the mess under intake but don't know which ones too remove. If someone can show me a diy or tell me which hose exactly (I'm a visual learner) it'll help me get this e30 on the road and too use.

Comment

buttchug, you been helping me outtt alot. write ups for which hose needs to go and needs to stay?

Comment

I don't believe there are step by step instructions for this. The link I gave to M42Club had all the info you would need. Not sure what is going on with their website though. Haven't been able to access their forums since yesterday. Probably a server crash.

Comment

Awe sucker well I just need a diagram showing which hoses I keep and which ones remove

Comment

lol okay. a shit ton goes away. everything with a red x throw away. :)

I like the tuna here.

Comment

Working...
                              X