No announcement yet.

M42 fotostory, as requested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just a random thought....how good are M42's on nitrous?

Comment

Just a photo before a few things..
      1991 BMW 318is Track Car-NEEDS ITBS AND STANDALONE!!
      1997 BMW 328i Daily Driver-like buttah..

Comment

Nice Work Jesse....you make me wanna go out and rip on mine a bit...but I just finished a Bitburger, or two.

Can't wait to see it when it's all tuned. We need in-car videos on the back roads when it's all done.
        -03/2005 E46 330D Touring 6spd(204hp/410nM) Sapphire Black/Naturbraun Sport...300k KM & 35mpg(mixed)

Comment

Originally posted by S13_E30 View Post
          just a random thought....how good are M42's on nitrous?
          We just like any engine, you will need to rebuild for nitrous. Just throwing a bottle on is going to create a lot more heat, put more pressure on your rods, the exhaust valves are going to see more heat. Then custom tuning is where nitrous makes a big difference.

Simply put. Don't just throw a bottle on and call it a day. Nitrous should be done with a well planned engine build. Other wise you are just creating a ticking time bomb.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Massimo View Post
            We just like any engine, you will need to rebuild for nitrous. Just throwing a bottle on is going to create a lot more heat, put more pressure on your rods, the exhaust valves are going to see more heat. Then custom tuning is where nitrous makes a big difference.

Simply put. Don't just throw a bottle on and call it a day. Nitrous should be done with a well planned engine build. Other wise you are just creating a ticking time bomb.

Oh I know, there is no way I would just slap a bottle on there and try to get it to go. My M42 needs a serious rebuild. I haven't gotten a chance to take it apart but I'm expecting the worse, I'll take a look at it after my suspension gets done.

But this made me think of nitrous on an M42, quality of video is not so great but this 318is can go.

fastest 318is 11.08 sec on this videobest time 10.03comment issie: My car has a 1998 E36 318i motor (M42). I used to run a Turbonetics T3/T4 turbo which pu...

Comment

Originally posted by S13_E30 View Post
              Oh I know, there is no way I would just slap a bottle on there and try to get it to go. My M42 needs a serious rebuild. I haven't gotten a chance to take it apart but I'm expecting the worse, I'll take a look at it after my suspension gets done.

But this made me think of nitrous on an M42, quality of video is not so great but this 318is can go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i_KSI8VvH0
              I will admit I was thinking about running a time attack car with ITB's and n2o. I do know GM Performance did it when Time Attack first started up in the US. They brought a Cobalt SS out to Buttonwillow with GMPP bolt-ons(drivetrain, suspension, aero) with a bottle of juice(they ran a constant 75 shot) and lapped a 1:51 back in 06(if you know of time attack you understand how god damn fast that is) and just murdered everybody that year. That record wasn't broken until Rado beat it with his 1500whp Scion which is a tubeframe car pretty much.

Comment

Originally posted by carnurd View Post
                Just a photo before a few things..
                Nice rolling shot by the way!

Comment

I will admit I was thinking about running a time attack car with ITB's and n2o. I do know GM Performance did it when Time Attack first started up in the US. They brought a Cobalt SS out to Buttonwillow with GMPP bolt-ons(drivetrain, suspension, aero) with a bottle of juice(they ran a constant 75 shot) and lapped a 1:51 back in 06(if you know of time attack you understand how god damn fast that is) and just murdered everybody that year. That record wasn't broken until Rado beat it with his 1500whp Scion which is a tubeframe car pretty much.
                  Something seems a miss there, 75 shot of nos on a Cobalt is not going to set any great records even with suspension and aero work. You sure there wasn't more work done to the engine.

I would suspect there has to be. As running nitrous for 1:51 will melt most stock engines.
                  sigpic

Comment

Something seems a miss there, 75 shot of nos on a Cobalt is not going to set any great records even with suspension and aero work. You sure there wasn't more work done to the engine.

I would suspect there has to be. As running nitrous for 1:51 will melt most stock engines.
                    It's hard to find info on this car now as its from over 7 years ago. A cobalt with a good driver on hoosier A6's(when time attack tires were anything you wanted).

2300lbs(probably with driver) 350hp(probably to the wheels) and a GM test driver? Did you expect something slow?

Comment

It's hard to find info on this car now as its from over 7 years ago. A cobalt with a good driver on hoosier A6's(when time attack tires were anything you wanted).

2300lbs(probably with driver) 350hp(probably to the wheels) and a GM test driver? Did you expect something slow?
                      No I understand that the nitrous will give it the power but to have that on for a whole 1:50 on stock engine seems unlikely. Like I said you will start melting pistons if you run nitrous for that long on a stock engine.
                      sigpic

Comment

No I understand that the nitrous will give it the power but to have that on for a whole 1:50 on stock engine seems unlikely. Like I said you will start melting pistons if you run nitrous for that long on a stock engine.
                        Remember this had GM's R&D with a race team working on it. 4.45 final drive, trick blower, motec. Just saying our knowledge on these things is probably not as rich as theirs would be.

Comment

Remember this had GM's R&D with a race team working on it. 4.45 final drive, trick blower, motec. Just saying our knowledge on these things is probably not as rich as theirs would be.
                          Well that is not a stock engine, then fair enough.
                          sigpic

Comment

Back on topic trolls!!!

So I put all the stock pieces back on just trying to get her to start, tomorrow I will put the regrind cams back in but I think the ITBs will have to wait until I fab up a better fuel line solution. The stock fuel rail hard lines don't line up with the ITB manifold at all. This will give me some good learning time on getting things tuned in the meantime. I'm also going to get my hands on dbilas tune from a local here in SF Bay.

Here's a video of her first run tho ;) It sounds A LOT louder in the video than it does in real life. Stupid hydro lifters.

Should be getting my M Systems back from the powder coaters next week, which means that phase two (5 lug swap) can begin :)
                            Last edited by bwawuz02; 04-26-2012, 07:07 PM.

Comment

I drove her for the first time today. Missed her like CRAZY! The idle leaves something to be desired, but I think it has something to do with the LC-1s analog output feeding the DME. I haven't had it over 4.5k rpm, but it def feels like she wants to rip up there once I hit 4k rpm. The revshift engine/tranny mounts are about a 7 out of 10 overall. They transmit a decent amount of NVH into the cabin, but I don't mind it, BECAUSE RACE CAR!

Comment

Nice this is really a awesome build.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X