Why will the m42 not stop ticking?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why will the m42 not stop ticking?!

So I thought my ticking/clicking noise was from a worn down timing chain tensioner. Well apparently it wasnt, it already had the m44 tensioner installed and for some reason there was a nut between the tensioner and the backing plate? dont think that belonged there.. still replaced the tensioner with the new one (thanks Pelican parts). so where I am getting at is.. could it be my lifters? and are the VW lifters the next choice in the hunt for the never ending tick.. im going to pull the valve cover for paint this weekend and check the goods out, i recently replaced the VC gasket but didnt notice anything wrong.. my car has 308xxx KM on around 190xxx MI, any input would help ive had the car for around 6 months and have completely fallen in love with it, just want to keep it running for as long as possible!

The lifter tick I have heard on M42s goes away at mid-high RPM. Have you removed the lower oil pan? You may be missing chunks of or an entire chain guide. Try the old mechanics stethoscope method by using a screwdriver or a bit of pipe and listen to various places on the engine to try and narrow down the issue.

Comment

Poor oil change routines. Lifters have some varnish in them and are noisy. Run some varnish remover just prior to you next oil change. Might help quiet the down.
      https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

What kind of oil are you running, also? It could be too thin for the M42.

Any idea on the oil pressure? Low oil pressure can cause ticking also, such as when the pump is on its way out.

By the way, have you removed your lower oil pan and checked the oil pump nuts? They can get loose and fall off, on these motors.

Comment

I actually went downtown the other day to a local auto parts store to get a new lower oil pan gasket seeing as the PO decided just some random RTV would suffice for the gasket well it didnt and the pan is now leaking soooo, i should be changing the gasket this next week and shall check for stuff in the pan, i have changed the oil 3 times in the past 6 months to try and clean up the enginge started with Penzoil Platnum 10W30, then Mobil 1 Full syn 10W30, and I am currently running Royal Purple 10W30 (it was on sale for 6 dollars a quart) and i added a slick 50 engine treatment (did nothing) does anyone think i should change to maybe 15W50? it doesnt get too hot here in Germany i think that may be too thick.. Also one more thing the noise only comes while the throttle is more than 50%depressed and from 2800 to redline but at the speed you cant here it because my muffler is so damn loud:up:, THANKS FOR THE HELP SO FAR!

Comment

How would i check the oil pressure? never done it before, i am fairly mechanically inclined so shouldnt be a problem, and as far as varnish remover what are we talking about im in germany and i was gonna do seafoam but apparently that shits illegal or something cause the dont sale it here and BX cannot get it

Comment

I believe 10w40 is spec, and with the engine internals wearing over the years you shouldn't go lower than that. 10w30 may be a bit thin. How much of it do you burn?
              The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
              Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
              2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
              2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

VW lifters are only $140 for the set. If you end up pulling the old ones out you might as well spend the cash and get new ones.
                sigpic

Comment

okay so gonna bump up the viscosity next oil change after i pull the pan, and replace the gasket but yeah i get a bonus in a few paychecks so i will hopefully pick up those VW lifters, anything else i should replace while i have the cams out/valve cover off?

Comment

All old M42 engines do have the ticking sound, or almost all.
                    Before I did rebuild mine, it even had that sound when the engine was warm, not just when it was cold, not as loud though.
                    You have to change all the hydros under the camshafts, replace them with new ones, if the sound does disturb you.
                    They are expensive, so you have to ask yourself if its worth it for you, or not.

Also check if the gears of the camshafts are thin, or not.
                    If they are thin, you have to change them.
                    For example on many old Mercedes cars, they are always thin even when new, but that is normal.
                    On your M42 engine if they are thin, you have to change them.
                    You cant say in generell after what mileage their lifetime is over (camshaft gears).
                    Mine had 270.000km on the clock, and still looked fine, while others I have seen are worn out at 180.000km.

You could also polish the bearing of the camshafts in the head, I think many old M42s engines have scratches there, (nothing big, but if you already have the cams out...).

Comment

Its not the lifters. Replace the oil pressure relief valve.

Comment

Originally posted by MF DOOM View Post
                        Its not the lifters. Replace the oil pressure relief valve.
                        Not a bad idea. BMW updated the pressure bypass parts and most old M42's have the original parts in there. I don't think that it will help with the ticking but it is a good idea anyway.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

$25 valve vs. $500 lifters

I replaced the lifters first and it kept on ticking. Its worth a shot.

Comment

Okay so, where is the oil pressure relief valve located? the ticking noise is pretty distinct it sounds like 2 shot glasses tapping back and forth, do thats why im headed towards the lifters but who knows im new to this engine, if it were a VW 2.0 ABA id be all over that haha ;) but anything to save money, oil pressure relief valve sounds good ill try that after the pan gasket swap

Comment

NO!!! Youll have to do it during the pan swap. Its number 5 here

Comment

Working...
                              X