No announcement yet.

Interest in Bolt on Turbo kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does your AC work with no condenser fan on a hot day? My admittedly oversized intercooler is between the condenser and the radiator because it was impossible to fit under the valence without removing the condenser fan. I don't want to lose AC performance, this old system, with its inefficient tube and fin condenser needs all of the help it can get when running on R134, and I'm just picturing the high side pressures skyrocketing and the evaporator getting warmer at idle until it's barely cooling the air.

Originally posted by grinchxvx View Post
    Has anyone made 400 whp on a stock boosted m42? Just got a 318is that needs some love and don't know which direction I want to go with it, I like the idea of something different though. The car already feels so light I don't really want to swap it as of right now.
    I highly doubt it. I have seen a couple of cars making 300whp on stock internals in my searches, and it's my plan to do so as well, but I don't think the M42 can do anything more than that safely. Head studs and reducing compression ratio with a MLS head gasket are necessities. When I get my M20 swap stuff together I'll probably throw as much boost at the M42 as it will take and see what the outcome is, my turbo is capable of at least 350hp.

IG @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20 turbo
    [CoTM: 4-18]
    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
    - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
      I highly doubt it. I have seen a couple of cars making 300whp on stock internals in my searches, and it's my plan to do so as well, but I don't think the M42 can do anything more than that safely. Head studs and reducing compression ratio with a MLS head gasket are necessities. When I get my M20 swap stuff together I'll probably throw as much boost at the M42 as it will take and see what the outcome is, my turbo is capable of at least 350hp.
      Well I'm sure interested in seeing what that little M42 can do before it quits on you. I've been having fun and my car has been pretty reliable with 7 psi on a stock engine with 150,000+ miles and unknown head gasket. I'm going to bump it up to 10 psi once I finish doing my five lug swap and redo my exhaust stuff. My friend gave me a hks wastegate for my T25 that opens at like 14.7 psi I think. I'll probably blow the head gasket with that but I guess I'll find out. If I do I'll get a MLS head gasket and some ARP studs for it.
      -Dee
      5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
      IG: @deebelmont

Comment

Originally posted by ezman View Post
        Ocell, thanks for posting. Looks like a clean install. which fan did you end up using? Did you have any trouble installing the kit?

I'm using a Spal 15" puller wired up to the Aux fan circuit with an upgraded fuse. I put in the lower temp E36 temp switch, but it still doesn't fire the fan up until the temp gauge is uncomfortably high. Once it comes on, the engine cools down very quickly. Something I'm still trying to figure out.

The install wasn't quick for me, but this was also the first time I'd messed with forced induction so I was learning as I went. In the end it all went together very well, and I can't get over how clean and tidy the kit is.

I just got exhaust done Saturday, so I've only driven the car for a day and a half so far. The car is insanely fun to drive. I thought I'd be fine with my clutch, I've got the M20 flywheel and clutch, but it started slipping in 5th gear at 10psi. I've dialed it back to 8psi for now and I don't seem to have any slipping issues.

Here's a quick autocross run I did yesterday:
        Last edited by Ocell; 05-02-2016, 08:47 PM.
        91 318is Members' Rides Thread

Comment

Wow, the clutch started slipping at only 10psi? Would not have seen that coming.

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          - updated 3-17

Comment

I'm assuming it was clutch slip. I floored it on the highway in 5th. When the boost built up the revs went up to 4K and held there for a second while I kept accelerating, then the RPM started climbing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Ocell View Post
              I'm assuming it was clutch slip. I floored it on the highway in 5th. When the boost built up the revs went up to 4K and held there for a second while I kept accelerating, then the RPM started climbing again.

Stock clutch?
              '91 318is turbo

Comment

He said it's an M20 clutch, that's why I said I wouldn't have seen it coming.

IG @turbovarg
                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                - updated 3-17

Comment

He said it's an M20 clutch, that's why I said I wouldn't have seen it coming.

Doh! Missed that. Hmm. Yeah, seems like the M20 clutch should be able to handle 10psi plus and then some..
                  '91 318is turbo

Comment

Yeah that's what I was thinking, on 10psi I'd expect 200-210whp, ITB equipped and stroker M20s make that. I know the stock M20 clutches can't take much but I figured they could take more than that.

IG @turbovarg
                    '91 318is, M20 turbo
                    - updated 3-17

Comment

Yeah, I was surprised too, and bummed. The clutch hasn't seen an easy life so maybe it's on it's way out. It was already in the car when I got it. Now I'm debating whether I go with a Spec clutch or go OEM M20 again.

But I don't mean to derail Jake's thread. My main point is that the car's a blast to drive at 8 psi. I can't wait to have it running at 12.

Comment

Yeah, I was surprised too, and bummed. The clutch hasn't seen an easy life so maybe it's on it's way out. It was already in the car when I got it. Now I'm debating whether I go with a Spec clutch or go OEM M20 again.

But I don't mean to derail Jake's thread. My main point is that the car's a blast to drive at 8 psi. I can't wait to have it running at 12.

I'd put my money on going out..
                        '91 318is turbo

Comment

I would not bother with another stock clutch, coming from someone who has it and is seeking more, you'll probably want more power. Whatever you do, avoid an ebay kevlar clutch, mine cooked and sticks to the flywheel. I have come to find that kevlar clutches in general are easy to cook.

IG @turbovarg
                          '91 318is, M20 turbo
                          - updated 3-17

Comment

I would not bother with another stock clutch, coming from someone who has it and is seeking more, you'll probably want more power. Whatever you do, avoid an ebay kevlar clutch, mine cooked and sticks to the flywheel. I have come to find that kevlar clutches in general are easy to cook.
                            Great point. Best to do it right the first time. I'll be sticking to known brands for the clutch, for sure. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Thanks for the reply! very helpful answer, and I enjoyed watching the car in action too.
                              sigpic

Comment

Question on exhaust...I am headed to the exhaust shop to have a exhaust made from downpipe back. Thinking of doing a 3 bolt clamp vs. the band clamp. I can never get them to seal quite right.

I plan on running 2.5" straight back to a muffler, no cat. I have been running a pieced together centerpipe to supersprint exhaust and have been getting lots of fumes in the car. It seems to be mostly in traffic and at idle. I am really not sure where its coming from. The current exhaust has joints but they seem to be sealed pretty well. I might have a tiny manifold leak but its not anything I can hear. I am thinking its working its way into the cabin from the rear of the car as its typically worst with the windows open. It almost makes my eyes water.

Anyone have a similar issue or thoughts?

Still enjoying this kit very much!

Comment

Working...
                                X