No announcement yet.

a bit of clarification on M20 flywheel/clutch conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It isn't, the stock m20b25 flywheel is something like 18lbs whereas the 323i flywheel is 13lbs. I don't know if they are the same dimensions. I just remember that the parts I collected were, at the time, supposed to be the only way it would work, but from reading through this thread I can see that's not the case. Unfortunately I'm still having trouble making sense of it all.

Comment

Well, one thing that you can do is take the full M42 clutch/flywheel assembly out and measure thisknesses of the stack-up. Then do the same for your E21/E30 M20 assembly. See how close they may be. Looks like you are going to get the privilege of being everyone's guinea pig with this!

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Well I guess I am due for a contribution of my own. I'll dig all the parts out and get things measured up this weekend.

Comment

I hope I am not asking a dumb question...but does the m20 flywheel setup require a different pilot bearing? I am ordering all my parts and I am not sure how this change affects that decision. I know that the clutch alignment tools only work for particular bearing sizes, so it would be nice to know definitively which bearing to use. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jwal View Post
            I hope I am not asking a dumb question...but does the m20 flywheel setup require a different pilot bearing? I am ordering all my parts and I am not sure how this change affects that decision. I know that the clutch alignment tools only work for particular bearing sizes, so it would be nice to know definitively which bearing to use. Thanks
            Pilot matches the trans. To use a g240, use a m42 pilot. Spline count is the same, so the tool will work fine.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Ok great, that makes it easier :)
              Thanks firebird

Comment

Be aware that if you are using an M42 G240 there are two different pilot bearing sizes.

Comment

Yeah, I saw that too. Just one more thing to check I suppose

Comment

yes the M42 bearing has a wider center so while the M20 tool will fit the spline it will not work to align it correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by brads2002 View Post
                      yes the M42 bearing has a wider center so while the M20 tool will fit the spline it will not work to align it correctly.
                      Not all of them. ;)

The time you would need a different tool would be if you changed your transmission since the bearing has to match the trans. A lot of kits don't come with the tool.
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:

Comment

^
                        Exactly. For reference, two different M42 G240s, although it's a bit hard to see the comparison:

Comment

Interesting. I didn't know there were 2. Mine has the larger one for sure.

Comment

I am going to measure mine so I can know for sure. I hope its the larger one so the m20 clutch tool fits :P

Comment

Hi
                              Welcome to this forum site, here u can find lots of thing. I suggest u for your problem, you have to contact your friends. I am not able to give u answer right now sorry for that

Top Ten classified website

Comment

Originally posted by jwal View Post
                                I am going to measure mine so I can know for sure. I hope its the larger one so the m20 clutch tool fits :P
                                Getrag 260 has the small diameter bearing.
                                Last edited by ForcedFirebird; 04-30-2014, 08:39 AM.
                                john@m20guru.com
                                Links:

Comment

Working...
                                X