delta cam regrind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

delta cam regrind

Delta cams can do a regrind for 93.00 per cam.

Are they reputable guys?
    Both cams have to be done or i can do just one cam (intake)?

paging 2002maniac

Comment

VW 16v guys used to make good streetable power with an asymmetric cam swap (hotter intake). would be interested in results if you tried.
      past:
      1989 325is (learner shitbox)
      1986 325e (turbo dorito)
      1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
      1985 323i baur
      current:
      1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Interested in your results

-NICK

Comment

Have you confirmed Delta will do regrinds for you? A few years ago they stopped regrinding cams that push directly on the valve stem (through a lifter). They may be doing them again, but just giving you a heads up.

An asymmetric grind is a great setup for the street. Metric Mechanic has this for the street grind.

FWIW I have an older set of Delta 272deg regrinds (2002Maniac's old cams)

I am actually thinking of installing the stock exhaust cam to compare.

Web cams also does regrinds, but for nowhere near that cost.
          -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Here's a little information I learned the hard way.

If you have reground, high lift cams that have enough lift to run up the edge of the lifter bucket, you MUST either run an oil with high levels of ZDDP or use an additive with ZDDP. ZDDP used to be more commonplace in motor oil, until the PA basically banned it in 2008. Race oils usually still have it, and I think that Mobil 1 15W-50 full synth does. Anyway, ZDDP is a great friction modifier, and if you have a high lift cam that runs up the edge of the lifter bucket and oil w/o ZDDP, your lobes will get chewed to shit. This is most likely why Delta and others have really scaled back on cams for direct lifter applications.

Based on my experience, the intake should not have more than about 0.435" of lift or you run the risk of having problems. It varies with the profile, but you do NOT want the lobe running up the bucket edge unless you use high-ZDDP oil. This is not so much of an issue for an old engine, but if you have a newly built one and are running mineral oil for break-in, you are fucked (as was my sad case).

Blame the EPA.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Or you can use Amsoil 10-40 high zinc like I like to use.
              1991 BMW 318is Track Car-NEEDS ITBS AND STANDALONE!!
              1997 BMW 328i Daily Driver-like buttah..

Comment

Valvoline VR-1 20W50 is a good ZDDP oil and is the correct temp range for most BMW engines.
                Originally posted by BillBrasky
                E36's are the Stephen Baldwin of the 3 series family. They barely hold everything together and they only sold a lot because of the popularity of their older sibling.
                1991 318i Alpine II - S50/5-lug swapped - track car
                1989 325i Cirrusblau - Daily
                1970 2500 - Malaga over Grey Cloth
                2012 F350 6.7PSD

Comment

The guy on the phone confirmed they can do this for m42 motor and he is aware the cam has hollow design...so, I gues they can do this

May be some on else, more knowlegeble can give them a call and discuss this in greater detail? Their phone number is toll free... btw :)

Originally posted by wazzu70 View Post
                  Have you confirmed Delta will do regrinds for you? A few years ago they stopped regrinding cams that push directly on the valve stem (through a lifter). They may be doing them again, but just giving you a heads up.

An asymmetric grind is a great setup for the street. Metric Mechanic has this for the street grind.

FWIW I have an older set of Delta 272deg regrinds (2002Maniac's old cams)

I am actually thinking of installing the stock exhaust cam to compare.

Web cams also does regrinds, but for nowhere near that cost.

Comment

The hollow cam is not the issue. Its the lifter design which puts more pressure on the lobe than an intermediate finger follower like S54 and M44.

If they are willing to grind them, rock on!
                    -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Next time you talk to Delta, see if they can give the intake and exhaust open and close degrees for the stock cams. I cant find the factory lobe center angles anywhere!
                      -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
                        Here's a little information I learned the hard way.

If you have reground, high lift cams that have enough lift to run up the edge of the lifter bucket, you MUST either run an oil with high levels of ZDDP or use an additive with ZDDP. ZDDP used to be more commonplace in motor oil, until the PA basically banned it in 2008. Race oils usually still have it, and I think that Mobil 1 15W-50 full synth does. Anyway, ZDDP is a great friction modifier, and if you have a high lift cam that runs up the edge of the lifter bucket and oil w/o ZDDP, your lobes will get chewed to shit. This is most likely why Delta and others have really scaled back on cams for direct lifter applications.

Based on my experience, the intake should not have more than about 0.435" of lift or you run the risk of having problems. It varies with the profile, but you do NOT want the lobe running up the bucket edge unless you use high-ZDDP oil. This is not so much of an issue for an old engine, but if you have a newly built one and are running mineral oil for break-in, you are fucked (as was my sad case).

Blame the EPA.
                        You can buy ZDDP additive through the Eastwood company and other sources FYI!
                        -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

I use the Comp Cams stuff...

I too learned that one the hard way.

Did you talk to Scott at Delta?

t
                          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                          X