Resistance Value of ICV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resistance Value of ICV?

Does anyone know what the resistance between the ICV's two terminals should measure as? I just got my multimeter on there and got a value of 8.3 Ohms. I thought that I read somewhere that it should be ~20 Ohms, but I cannot remember. Thanks!

Alternatively, if someone could run out and check theirs with a meter, that would be appreciated too!
    Last edited by bmwman91; 06-17-2013, 04:28 PM.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

From the manual...

There should be approximately
    40 ohms of resistance between the valve's two outer terminals,
    and approximately 20 ohms of resistance between the center
    terminal and each of the outer terminals.
    Owner - Bavarian Restoration
    BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
    www.BavRest.com
    My Feedback Thread
    Our Facebook!
    Follow our Instagram!

Comment

It should buzz with motor off, ignition on.
      Owner - Bavarian Restoration
      BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
      www.BavRest.com
      My Feedback Thread
      Our Facebook!
      Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Thanks Greg. The M42 uses a 2-pin connector versus the M20's 3-pin one (M42 has a variable-opening ICV whereas the M20 has an open/close fast idle valve).

I know that mine is at least somewhat functional, but I am wondering if it is on its way out. Smacking it with a screwdriver seems to help when the idle is shitty, and I have really cleaned the hell out of it so I know it is not sticking.

Comment

From Brendal Purcell site:
          Check the coil resistance between the two motor connections for a reading of about 20ohms. If the ICV is out of the car move the valve plunger while recording the resistance. It should vary consistently with no jumps in reading.

Comment

Interesting. I got 8.3 and another guy got 9.1. Both cars run fine (mine needed a soak in a tub of rubbing alcohol). The resistance does not change at all as I move the door. Too bad new ones are $200 or I would just buy a new one and test it lol.

Comment

er, the resistance shouldn't change, it's just a coil...

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
              X