Marble noise at 3k?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marble noise at 3k?

Any ideas of what could cause a marble sounding noise at 3k? My valvetrain doesn't make a sound anywhere else in the RPM range. The teeth are still perfectly square, all my bolts are tight, and there's no plastic remnants in the pan. Maybe the tensioner?

may be timing case related? what is a marble noise?

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
    Ig:ryno_pzk
    I like the tuna here.
    Originally posted by lambo
    Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Could be knock. Sound like bb's rattling around in a glass jar? Is it 3k at full load in a higher gear?

Comment

Chain loose? Maybe tensioner is shot.
        https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerputzer View Post
          Could be knock. Sound like bb's rattling around in a glass jar? Is it 3k at full load in a higher gear?
          This was my first thought as well.

Comment

The little idler sprocket for the timing chain could be on its way out, or maybe the top bolt of the driver's side chain guide rail is stripped.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerputzer View Post
              3k in 5th going down the highway, so yes?

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
              The little idler sprocket for the timing chain could be on its way out, or maybe the top bolt of the driver's side chain guide rail is stripped.
              Maybe. I was hoping I wouldn't have to open up the case. :(

Comment

3k in 5th going down the highway, so yes?
                Full load = loud pedal floored

Just cruising wouldn't cause knock.

Comment

You sir need a new chain. I had the same exact issue.
                  When I compared the new to old I discovered the actual links worn allowing play in all directions. I'm assuming it slapping around as it goes down the guide rail.

Comment

After driving around on some smooth quiet roads (seriously a needle in a haystack down here) I'm hearing definite chain noise below 3k. Time for an engine swap haha!

Between this and the super loud input shaft bearing on the G240, it's time for something bigger.

Comment

I can haz old M42?

Comment

The M42 seems to not run smooth at kinda exactly 3000 RPM.
                        Just to mention.
                        With my M42 and many miles on the engine, I could easily hear that 3000RPM just wasnt healthy for it, while 2900 and 3100 are fine again.
                        Even on a complete rebuild M42 now, since I knew, I can still here the difference at exactly 3000RPM.
                        If you drive on the highway for a longer distance, I would also avoid 3000RPM, and rather go a bit faster or a bit slower.
                        But I dont know if its just my engine and others are fine...?

Comment

If you are having bad noises and vibration at 3000rpm, you need to open up the timing covers and inspect things.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Working...
                          X