M42 cooling help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 cooling help

My radiator is ice cold when motor is hot. Waterpump works fine and i cant seem to purg all the air out of the lines. Need help. Maybe someone has had this same problem before with there m42 motor its like the resovor will be steeming hot and the radiator will be ice cold like theres no flow but i u take the radiator off and run water through it it has about 80% flow.
    91 318is
    94 accord
    96 mustang / workin progress
    sigpicE30 enthusiast

Originally posted by Austin30 View Post
    i cant seem to purg all the air out of the lines.
    Sounds like you just need to bleed it but...
    the resovor will be steeming hot and the radiator will be ice cold like theres no flow but i u take the radiator off and run water through it it has about 80% flow.
    ..this makes it seem like a clogged radiator.
    The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
    Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
    2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
    2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

It seems like it would be clogged but when u take a water hose to it it had about 80%you flow out the bottom
      91 318is
      94 accord
      sigpicE30 enthusiast

Comment

water is not pumping. theres an air bubble where the water pump is. you gotta bleed da shi yo

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
        Ig:ryno_pzk
        I like the tuna here.
        Originally posted by lambo
        Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Try jacking the front up or putting them on ramps. Run with heater on and reservoir cap off. that way the highest part of the car would be the front end. Air pockets will try to find its way to the top and hopefully out.

Comment

May need bled, but sounds like thermostat is stuck closed.
            Water pump is working? Did you just install a new one? If you did, did you put the thermostat in correctly, (air bleed hole up, facing correct direction).
            Just because the water pump shaft is turning and not leaking does'nt mean the pump is working.

Comment

Did you recently do some maintenance on the cooling system? VERY often people have a clogged bypass groove in their thermostat housing, which really makes it a pain to get the air out. There isn't a bypass hole in the thermostat, or at least not in the 88°C ones that I have ever used.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by oldmann View Post
                Water pump is working? Did you just install a new one? If you did, did you put the thermostat in correctly, (air bleed hole up, facing correct direction).
                Just because the water pump shaft is turning and not leaking does'nt mean the pump is working.
                This

-NICK

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
                  Did you recently do some maintenance on the cooling system? VERY often people have a clogged bypass groove in their thermostat housing, which really makes it a pain to get the air out. There isn't a bypass hole in the thermostat, or at least not in the 88°C ones that I have ever used.
                  If they don't, I drill an 1/8" hole in the frame at the top of thermostat.

I've never had an issue with bleeding, as long as I do this.

And your right about the groove in the housing, almost every time I've had one apart the groove is clogged up, except for the ones who always use distilled water with there coolant.

Comment

Yeah the bypass groove was a nice idea, but turned out poorly in reality. A simple hole in the thermostat body is more than adequate. Even with a totally clean cooling system, the rubber O-ring and paper gasket can easily block the groove. And if you use any sort of gasket sealer..forget it!

Comment

Never understood why people had such hard times bleeding the M42. Never had to drill a hole in the thermostat either. Did you ever see the fluid pumping into the resevoir from the top hose?
                      DENY IGNORANCE!
                      Schwarz 325-totaled
                      brilliantrot 318i-daily

Originally posted by mkcman17
                      don't think your hamster wheels are fast now. you will still have to give up when trying to pass that V6 odyssey to make your offramp.

Comment

I see water pumping into the resevoir it just seems silly that the radiator would be cold if hot water was going into the resevoir
                        91 318is
                        94 accord
                        sigpicE30 enthusiast

Comment

Originally posted by Balleristic31 View Post
                          This
                          dood ;D;D;D;D

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                          Ig:ryno_pzk
                          I like the tuna here.
                          Originally posted by lambo
                          Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Im seemin to think that air is sucking from somwere under the intake. Because it consantly has air bubbling out the radiator cap amd i hear a gergling sound from somewere up under tge intake
                            91 318is
                            94 accord
                            sigpicE30 enthusiast

Comment

I hate to even suggest it, but seeing air bubble out of the intake while running could be indicative of a cracked head or blown head gasket. Does the coolant level drop as the car runs and not go back up?

Comment

Working...
                              X