Opinions on this M42 Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on this M42 Turbo

Alright, well I'm finally starting this "build" now that my suspension and the rest of the car are all sorted out. I've read just about every build thread and piece of info on here and M42 Club so here's my initial ideas.

Engine
    130K Healthy M42
    -Valeo Single Mass FW and Clutch Kit
    -MLS HG (.120)
    -ARP Head Studs
    Fuel
    -Deatschwerks DW 200 Fuel pump (255lph)
    -Deatschwerks 550CC Injectors
    Turbo etc.
    -T28 BB (From an Sr20) w/FMIC 3 inch
    -Downpipe (SR or maybe Jake?)
    -Manifold Jake

As far as tuning goes, i'm debating between an Ostrich port and Midnight Tuning or getting a chip made (if anyone does that). Would anyone recommend MS over both of these?

For output I planned to running 14psi and hope to make ~ 250whp if that would be possible. More is always better but you can expect to double the output of an engine overnight with only a few grand. I really want to see the potential of a stock bottom end M42 because I think they're great motors and I really haven't seen anyone push a stock motor. Seeing people run 10psi with stock compression,HG and studs making ~200hp; I think my goal is somewhat reasonable.
    I'd appreciate any input you guys could give me on this! :D
    Last edited by ///MLIFE; 12-07-2014, 09:01 AM.

This seems like a pretty solid plan to me. I don't know much about the valeo single mass flywheel and clutch though, I assume you checked to see what kind of power it can handle. I think that turbo is perfect for what you're after, I was going to run a similar one on my car before I changed some things around. I'm pretty sure an SR downpipe doesn't fit unless you modify it a fair amount but I don't know I never tried.

Regarding your tuning I can't give you any information my car just fired up on the stock Motronic and it runs terrible so I'm currently looking into a megasquirt for it just because most people seem to use it and like it. Also I know there is somebody in NY, rktunes that does stock motronic ecu tunes. Everyone who I talked about his work speaks very highly of him.

But also I have a GT2871R and Tial wastegate for sale if you haven't already gotten a turbo I would love to see somebody put them on an M42 like I planned to originally! :)
    -Dee
    5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
    IG: @deebelmont

Comment

I picked up a my turbo super cheap (also newly w/ no shaft play) but i'd love to throw it on an M42 if I had the money!

The flywheel should be good for about 260 ft-lbs from what I've been told

I've sourced everything so far except the manifold, downpipe and fuel system. What downpipe are you running/plan to run on your car?

Happy to see it's up and running, can't wait to see it on the road! :)

Comment

I was just going to try and fabricate my own, I've been learning how to weld in my spare time so I figured it would be a good project for some extra practice.

The fuel system you're generally good with just the bigger injectors and a walbro 255lph fuel pump. I personally would replace any rubber soft lines and maybe the filter as well just to be safe.

I have DJ Buttchug's old manifold which is a cut up m5x turbo manifold, I would talk to Jake or I know Good & Tight makes them still (pretty sure).
        -Dee
        5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
        IG: @deebelmont

Comment

Your downpipe will most likely need custom made to fit the turbo you plan on using. As there is a variety of flanges and differences in width that will alter the placement of the downpipe.

I have a turbo, manifold, downpipe and custom exhaust available. Send me a pm if you are interested.

Comment

I suggest going with an m20 flywheel and clutch. Have it lightened and resurfaced first. This gives you more clutch area than the stock m42 and much lighter for very cheap. Then you either need the pinion gear off an m20 starter, or an entire late model m20 starter.

Comment

I second going with the M20 flywheel and an aftermarket clutch. My much delayed project will be running on megasquirt, I never even considered tuning the stock motronic because I'm familiar with MS and am not sure the AMM can support the power I would like to have. I am using a similar setup otherwise, with a cut up M50 manifold, a T3 off of my old Volvo and 3" turbo back exhaust.

IG @turbovarg
              '91 318is, M20 turbo
              [CoTM: 4-18]
              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
              - updated 3-17

Comment

Working...
              X