No announcement yet.

New 318is Owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just had to do the helicoil project myself. The PO must have changed only the outer valve cover at somepoint and stripped 2 of the threads. The bolts were just resting in the holes. Very nice.

I helicoiled the obvious ones and then reinstalled the valve cover. At that point, an additional 2 holes stripped out and I ended up pulling it and helicoil the remaining holes just as you did for the piece of mind.

Got the entire valve cover gasket kit from ECS tuning for $24 too which made me quite happy :D

Glad your project is coming along! It will be well worth it!
    sigpic

Comment

don't ignore your timing. my camshaft sprockets looked just like yours.

now my idler sprocket looks like this.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Comment

I found another M42 local for 250$, would it be worthwhile to pick that up and build the timing system and drop that motor in?
        -Todd

Current: 1991 Diamantschwarz Metallic 318is

Gone: 2004 Flame Red Neon SRT-4

Comment

Originally posted by red2.4srt View Post
          I found another M42 local for 250$, would it be worthwhile to pick that up and build the timing system and drop that motor in?
          If it is a long block, then it might be a good pick up just for spare parts. I bought a spare M42, transmission, airbox, alternator, etc ... for that price.

You are going to have to do much of the same work to swap an engine if yours is not in poor shape.
          Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

Thanks Vanilla Gorilla, it certainly has been more intensive than I initially expected to get with this car. Can't really trust many people to be truthful with maintenance history anymore...

slowm42, the more and more I hear the sound mine is making, the more convinced I am that my idler sprocket is in the same shape. My noise doesn't sound like anything top end after using a stethoscope, I guess it's time to tear this one down or get another to tear into! I'll definitely go with the newer style timing case so I can utilize the idler guide rather than the idler sprocket.

Gerta, i'm debating whether or not to pursue that or look into M50B28 swapping it out. It's a hard decision, I love the M42 and the balance of the car so far. I just feel the more I get into this car, the more I feel hosed by the PO. Maintenance that was "supposedly" done hasn't been and i'm not sure how damaged the current M42 is... Choices choices...
            -Todd

Current: 1991 Diamantschwarz Metallic 318is

Gone: 2004 Flame Red Neon SRT-4

Comment

Well having gone the "0 Mile reset" option on an M42 engine twice, the cost can be comparable to an M5x engine swap. I guess it really depends on what you want. A fully refreshed M42 or an unknown M5x.

For me since a swap was a little too ambitious the M42 route made sense.

Good luck bro! Either way you are bound to be happy!
              Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

Whatever you decide, please drop the lower oil pan and check for loosened/dropped bolts..
                This can not be stressed how important this easycheck/fix is on these engines.
                bmwman91 as always, has the correct information on these engines.

2 of my bolts were loose on the upper oilpan, 134K stock engine,valve train was like yours shot! Currently doing a complete timing overhaul to include the late M42 timing case, updated guides,oil pressure valve update. Hate to have to pull the head.
                Will probably go with a rebuilt MM head with the new updated valve springs...Thanks again bmwman91 for your experience in the beehive MM spring issue. Have already installed the MM M20 228mm lightweight flywheel/clutch kit,COP kit and Jim Conforti chip. Thought that I could get by without the late model timing case swap and reassembled the timing components. After seeing the many timing chain idler sprocket failures on these forums thought better of it and started disassembling engine for the late model M42 timing case swap. Gotta have peace of mind!
                Thanks,
                Stan

Comment

Ugh, you guys are making me want to get another car so I can rebuild my timing...
                  -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                  08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                  318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                  '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                  Originally posted by roguetoaster
                  Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Originally posted by DER E30 View Post
                    Ugh, you guys are making me want to get another car so I can rebuild my timing...
                    Hey,
                    We do what we can. You don’t have to buy another one, just finance mine ;)
                    Nice “is” by the way.

Stan

Comment

Originally posted by The White Guy View Post
                      Hey,
                      We do what we can. You don’t have to buy another one, just finance mine ;)
                      Nice “is” by the way.

Stan
                      Thanks man, Love your sig! I'm coming around to the idea that the m42 will stay in mine forever...

Bumping thread as I think my timing chain just hit critical mass... It used to tick on cold starts but would go away pretty fast... Today, (few mins ago) it won't shut up, I'm gonna pull the valve cover but I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna like the result...

Edit: Think I figured it out. BMWman91's had the same issue of the upper bolt of the driver's side chain guide strip and back out as in this thread of his...http://www.m42club.com/forum/index.p...8802#msg108802
                      Last edited by DER E30; 05-16-2015, 11:02 PM.
                      -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                      08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                      318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                      '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                      Originally posted by roguetoaster
                      Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Working...
                      X