Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What preventative maintenance for long road trip with M42?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What preventative maintenance for long road trip with M42?

Hi, I have a 91 318is that I will be driving 4,500 miles from DC to the E30 picnic in Seattle next month. Then about 4,000 miles back.

What are the main items I should look at?

I've done a DC to Orlando and back trip in an E36 M42 before (318ti) and it ran great.

Just this trip is a bit more involved and going through some tougher climate, so I want to make sure everything is tip top before I leave. Thanks!
    GearSwitch E30 Cup Holder available now at http://gearswitch.us

Bring it back to the place your friend bought the 318i and I'll look at it with you!

I'd look at the cooling system and the timing setup first. It's really no different than any modern car outside of being much easier to work on.

Comment

If these have not been done in awhile:

1. replace water pump, thermostat, expansion tank and radiator hoses.

2. replace coolant with BMW coolant mixture.

3. replace all engine driven belts.

4. the obvious oil/filter change; flush brake fluid; check transmission oil and diff oil levels.

5. consider replacing the in tank fuel pump and the clutch master and slave cylinders.

Comment

Originally posted by mark1991 View Post

4. the obvious oil/filter change; flush brake fluid; check transmission oil and diff oil levels.

5. consider replacing the in tank fuel pump and the clutch master and slave cylinders.
        I dunno if I would do #5 for this trip unless it was already identified as on the way out. I also believe that The expansion tank in the radiator would not necessarily need to be replaced if not already leaking.

Other than a good tune up and inspection service you'd be set.
        Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

OP you should also check out the tools carried on the epic journeys done by some of our members. I would at a minimum recommend putting together a "spares" kit that includes bmw coolant, water, fuses, lightbulbs, hoses, etc ... Plus any tools to do the stuff you think you can on the road. One dude had an epic journey where he took a full tool kit and jack. It saved his ass.

The best piece of advice I found is to do all the preventative stuff before you leave. Hopefully a week or two before you leave to do a shakedown.

Comment

a 2.93 rear end

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
            Ig:ryno_pzk
            I like the tuna here.
            Originally posted by lambo
            Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

#turbo

Comment

Originally posted by mark1991 View Post

3: do this and keep the old belts as spares in you trunk during the trip

Comment

I think fuel pump is a good idea since that can definately leave you stranded
                  Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
                  http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Have you ever changed the plastic coolant pipe on the left side of the block?

Those suck when they pop...

t
                    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I always carry a spare coil

Comment

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I bought this car last November and the PO had done a lot of maintenance before hand with lots of receipts and records, so I'll go through those. Definitely going to keep a "trunk kit" of tools and spares with me.

roguetoaster, thank you for offering! Not sure if I will be able to make it out there between now and the trip, but I'll let you know if I can. If anyone nearby knows about how M42s fail running hard for long endurance stints, it's you guys!

Comment

that will be a neat trip! are you going alone or in a caravan

Comment

Originally posted by ethrty View Post
                            that will be a neat trip! are you going alone or in a caravan
                            Alone at first, then into caravan getting closer to the event. There's a convoy heading up from California that I'll try to intercept in Portland or thereabouts. Along the way, will try to coordinate mini meet ups with local E30 folks.

Comment

Ryan - I think you will be fine if you do all the basic "tune up" stuff and replace any suspect hoses, coolant pipe, etc ... I'm a 318is guy myself and I have found the best mods for this engine is really basic maintenance items. Oh and a cup holder. You have to have a cup holder (mine will be here today).

Comment

Working...
                              X